Entries:
Comments:
Posts:

Loading User Information from Channel 9

Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9

Latest Achievement:

Loading User Information from MSDN

Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN

Visual Studio Achievements

Latest Achievement:

Loading Visual Studio Achievements

Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements

Visual Studio Orcas Express: Building "Hello World" using Windows Presentation Foundation

Download

Right click “Save as…”

Chad Royal from the Cider team walks through building and debugging a simple "Hello World" Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) application using the Cider designer.  


Note: You must update the WPF Project templates to get Visual Studio Orcas Express to work correctly. This update should be released very shortly.

Tags:

Follow the Discussion

  • Things like this lead to a "Where is the C# version sample?"

    Ahh the event hanlders, funny I'm watching the video as I type.

    But then WTH, is MS is picking features for VB over C# in beta? What is the preferred language VB or C#? I guess with a multi language platform this can lead to an argaument that Java Platform does not. hehehe Wink



  • William Staceystaceyw Before C# there was darkness...
    Forgive me, but how does the product make Beta1 without c# code-behind?  Makes it a bit impossible to use the beta.  Looks nice however.

  • Great questions you both raise!  The fact is our Beta 1 release supports both VB and C# in code behind.  We don't yet have design-surface support for either language.  We don't yet have intellisense support for either language.

    The reason I chose VB here is because VB's language allows for the "Handles" declarator, and the language service generates handlers from those object/event dropdowns in the editor.  It just made the example more streamlined -- didn't mean to imply that C# didn't work, it just works differently.

    I could have shown C#'s equivalent scenario by going into the Window1 ctor and typing "button1.click +=..." and then C# would have gen'd a handler stub for me and completed the delegate add.  Download the Beta and give that a try Smiley

    Maybe what I really hear you folks saying is our next video should be "All the different ways you can generate and hookup event handlers in Beta 1, with VB and C#".  I'm happy to oblige on that one...

    chad

  • chadr wrote:
    
    I could have shown C#'s equivalent scenario by going into the Window1 ctor and typing "button1.click +=..." and then C# would have gen'd a handler stub for me and completed the delegate add.  Download the Beta and give that a try Smiley



    One better show us how it is done in C# if it is not done like VB Orcas or even the old VS 2005. Are you now saying that I'm not going to have a property list of Events and be able to doulbe click one to have the Orcas wire up the event and I focus on the handling the event.

    Now in Orcas with C# you are saying we have to do both? Go to ctor then type in the event we want to wire up. Then go and build the method declaration that was done for you in VS 2005. Then you get to write your code? So, in VS 2005 I would find the event double click and write my code? Now I got to write more code relating to the declaraction of code and not the logic itself?

    I'm going to try because I do see where you say the code is gen, if I type button1.click = new EeventHandler(foo). That it will build foo for me. It is just a lot easiery to *find* an event in the list and double click, ok I can use intellisense when I hit the period button1.c

  • chadr wrote:
    
    The reason I chose VB here is because VB's language allows for the "Handles" declarator, and the language service generates handlers from those object/event dropdowns in the editor.  It just made the example more streamlined -- didn't mean to imply that C# didn't work, it just works differently.


    Why not have that in the C# verison like in VS2005? I thought the idea was to add feature not take them away? That is something I do when I release bug fixes. I fix the bug, but break the code some where else. So, is it going to be the old way or the new way, write code?

    Why make VB *streamlined* and not C#.
  • y2k4life wrote:
    
    chadr wrote:
    The reason I chose VB here is because VB's language allows for the "Handles" declarator, and the language service generates handlers from those object/event dropdowns in the editor.  It just made the example more streamlined -- didn't mean to imply that C# didn't work, it just works differently.


    Why not have that in the C# verison like in VS2005? I thought the idea was to add feature not take them away? That is something I do when I release bug fixes. I fix the bug, but break the code some where else. So, is it going to be the old way or the new way, write code?

    Why make VB *streamlined* and not C#.



    Its in beta right now.  you know what beta means correct ?

  • CPrest wrote:
    
    Its in beta right now.  you know what beta means correct ?


    Yes, I do. The question is do You?

    Obviously not, unless the involvment of the community during beta has change. If that means we just take it as is and don't voice our opinions to figure out what is in the Beta and what is going into the RTM.

    The point of Beta is to bring up issues like this. To figure out if this feature (or lack of) is beta or is this going to be in the RTM (or not).

    If I took your train of thought I would not be asking these questions. Then when RTM comes out and I find out that they made this change, then ask the question, it is too late. Again why we ask questions during Beta.

    So, what I'm waiting for is "Ya, in the Beta for C# it is not there and will be there in the RTM" or "It is not there period this is the change and will be in RTM this way".

    If you look at my first post I was asking why we don't have C# features. Becuase I was more concerned with it being over looked and is VB more important and will we see features first in VB before C# or is it the other way around. Why am I see something in VB beta but not C# beta and if it is not there is this only during Beta.

    I understand that there might be features in one that is ready where the other might not be. Is there a feature list of what works or not in beta? That is what would eliminate quesitons.

    There do you understand Beta now?

    Ask questions now before it is too late?Wink




  • So, the Beta 1 technology that is implemented for WPF to support event hookup is exactly the same for both VB and C#.  That is, at Beta 1, there are no more or less lines of code in the designer for either language's support of events in WPF.  And that LOC count is, effectively, zero in Beta 1 Smiley *

    The odd and confusing reality is, without designer support for event hookup in Beta 1, you're seeing the fallback feature of code-editor-only support -- which is the same for WPF as it is for Windows Forms.  And, as with Windows Forms, there are some differences between C# and VB for event code gen and hookup.

    Once WPF Designer & XAML Language Service event support comes online (as it is today in our internal builds and you'll see in Beta 2), intellisense will give completion on events in the XAML editor, and double-clicking on a control will generate the handler and take you to code.

    No harm in asking about a feature you care about, just try not to use Beta 1 to jump to conclusions about the final product or how we prioritize language support.  We're still working Smiley

    * Note: it's not really zero, but there are multiple levels and layers of goo that have to be in place to make event hookup work, each of which is necessary but not sufficient.  Not all goo was there, so effectively there's nothing there cuz you can't see any features.

  • Thank you,

    That was all that is needed and expected during beta are q&a. what I don't like are a bunch of Q's or no Q's at all, and to not get any A's after one posts a Q. Then to get a final release with something missing.

    Yes I understand the goo you all are in I work in the same place. Cool

    Interesting enough also by asking the question and reviewing the response I'm learning more on the new ways of producing the code from the editor "fallback feature" (I like how you add *feature* Wink it is not just a fallback it is a fallback feature). If I'm in the code no need to switch to the form editor to double click on a control or an event in a event list to generate code.



    chadr wrote:
    
    No harm in asking about a feature you care about, just try not to use Beta 1 to jump to conclusions about the final product or how we prioritize language support.  We're still working



    ".snoitseuq diputs on era ereht" syas rehcaet ym sA


    I'm not trying to guess or jump to conclusions, but with out anything to go by is one to assume that what is not there will be in the final release or even beta2? Then take the stance as the other post says and as you elude to, and that is don't ask questions, just report bugs? Then wait for the final release then ask? That is where the goo gets sticky, with other projects one might publish to the web what is being worked on, completed, etc... So how am I to know if a feature is is in the final release or not unless I ask. If a feature list with status was posted some where then I would see in beta 1 it is not available but will be in either beta 2 or an RTM or final and I would not need to ask a question. And if this list does exist then someone one could have posted that and I would be on my way, hoping not to ask a questions in the future.
     

    - gb.

  • Waleed El-BadryVBCoder Waleed El-Badry
    It is really nice to see that graphics design and development become more and more integrated. I was only wondering why Visual studio team didn't attempt to embed the Expression blend Features inside it instead of buying it separately and baring the headache of working on both IDE's in the same time as Expression Blend doesn't support Intellisense and Visual Studio doesn't have the easy of use panes that exist in Blend
  • thewizsterthewizster Life is Good Here in Big D...

    Nice video... Quick and to the point. As for all the C# comments "What a bunch of C# whiners..." lol

  • good, basic how-to...

     

    Q: has anyone built an inventory of all such how-to vid's...?

    ...if so, where is it?

     

  • Martin Ennemosermawcc Make it so
    HowardNYC wrote:
    

    good, basic how-to...

     

    Q: has anyone built an inventory of all such how-to vid's...?

    ...if so, where is it?

     



    http://windowsclient.net/learn/videos.aspx
  • Hello builders. Seems to be easy to use this soft I got how to put boxes, buttons, text area and other stuffs. Easy like newer before but I could not get to understand how to put or program for example a key-gen for some soft even that, already programmed (did make), key-gens does not opened in that c++ or java or that cool programs from Microsoft. Hey guys any one knows how to make some or open to see how it does programmed? Thank you for your reply will wait for it. 









Remove this comment

Remove this thread

close

Comments Closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums,
or Contact Us and let us know.