Entries:
Comments:
Posts:

Loading User Information from Channel 9

Something went wrong getting user information from Channel 9

Latest Achievement:

Loading User Information from MSDN

Something went wrong getting user information from MSDN

Visual Studio Achievements

Latest Achievement:

Loading Visual Studio Achievements

Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements

Dart Communications - Visual Studio Component Lab

Download

Right click “Save as…”

Here we talk with Michael J. Baldwin, President of Dart Communications. His company has written a suite of VS controls including a really cool xmlhttp-based ASP.NET control that makes aspx page refreshes possible without refreshing the page.

Enjoy

Download Size: 50 MB

Tag:

Follow the Discussion

  • AQAQ One does not thank logic

    Ahh, very timely. Not only because of the whole Ajax phenomena, but in the sense there is a general need for some consensus on what constitutes best practices in dynamic web ui.

    Haven't used LiveControls but am familiar with Dart. How much can this actually improve on the elegance of RaiseCallbackEvent?

    I did a little demo test creating a procedural web animation using client side callbacks and SMIL a few weeks ago. Hooking the client events with async server calls is tres simple already!

    http://spaces.msn.com/members/okaq/Blog/cns!1po3aQ5IMCI8PfcPIEIDmbkQ!934.entry

    aq

  • It isn't really that hard to implement.  We worked in a Course Search engine as a small part of a Senior Design project for school that communicated without refresh and it wasn't hard at all.  Here's one web site that explains how you can do it:
    http://objectgraph.com/dictionary/how.html">http://objectgraph.com/dictionary/how.html

    While you're at it, feel free to check out the ObjectGraph dictionary at: http://objectgraph.com/dictionary/

    Cool stuff...and of course we know that G(remlin)Mail and Goof-off Maps (and of course Goople Suggest) use this technology as well.
  • leighswordleighsword LeighSword
    The Channel 9 Team wrote:

    Here we talk with Michael J. Baldwin, President of Dart Communications. His company has written a suite of VS controls including a really cool xmlhttp-based ASP.NET control that makes aspx page refreshes possible without refreshing the page.

    i am dreaming of this feature when writing Web Application,but now i have quit this game, it was too later.
  • TensorTensor Im in yr house upgrading yr family
    That is insanely cool. I was put off the whole AJAX thing through the complexity of it - this enables the same kind of thing but amazingly simply!
  • leighswordleighsword LeighSword
    dantheman82 wrote:
    It isn't really that hard to implement.  We worked in a Course Search engine as a small part of a Senior Design project for school that communicated without refresh and it wasn't hard at all.  Here's one web site that explains how you can do it:
    http://objectgraph.com/dictionary/how.html">http://objectgraph.com/dictionary/how.html

    While you're at it, feel free to check out the ObjectGraph dictionary at: http://objectgraph.com/dictionary/

    Cool stuff...and of course we know that G(remlin)Mail and Goof-off Maps (and of course Goople Suggest) use this technology as well.

    write a simple exmple is easy
    function loadGame(game_id){
         var oXmlHttp = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP");
         oXmlHttp.Open("POST", "../../gamexml.aspx", false);
     
         oXmlHttp.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","text/xml");
         oXmlHttp.Send(game_id);
     
         if(oXmlHttp.status != "200")
         {
           alert("\u7f51\u7edc\u6570\u636e\u4f20\u8f93\u5931\u8d25\uff01");
           return false;
         }
         var xmlStr = "<?xml  version='1.0'?>" + oXmlHttp.ResponseXML.xml;
         game.loadXML(xmlStr);
     
         var node = game.selectSingleNode(".//game");
         limit = parseInt(node.selectSingleNode(".//ticket_limit").text);
    }

    but make whole WebForm Application do not refresh is hard, it needs rewrite alots of  custome controls.
  • leighsword wrote:

    write a simple exmple is easy
    function loadGame(game_id){
         var oXmlHttp = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP");
         oXmlHttp.Open("POST", "../../gamexml.aspx", false);
     
         oXmlHttp.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","text/xml");
         oXmlHttp.Send(game_id);
     
         if(oXmlHttp.status != "200")
         {
           alert("\u7f51\u7edc\u6570\u636e\u4f20\u8f93\u5931\u8d25\uff01");
           return false;
         }
         var xmlStr = "<?xml  version='1.0'?>" + oXmlHttp.ResponseXML.xml;
         game.loadXML(xmlStr);
     
         var node = game.selectSingleNode(".//game");
         limit = parseInt(node.selectSingleNode(".//ticket_limit").text);
    }

    but make whole WebForm Application do not refresh is hard, it needs rewrite alots of  custome controls.


    Just a temporary trip out of lurk mode -

         var oXmlHttp = new ActiveXObject("Msxml2.XMLHTTP");
         oXmlHttp.Open("POST", "../../gamexml.aspx", false);
         oXmlHttp.onreadystatechange = myCallbackFunc;
         oXmlHttp.setRequestHeader("Content-Type","text/xml");
         oXmlHttp.Send(game_id);

    The above one line change will make it asynchronous and call that function when the state changes. Your callback should then do

    if ( oXmlHttp.readyState == 4 && oXmlHttp.status = 200 )

    to check that the call has actually finished.

    Of course you can make your callback an anonymous inner function by doing the following if you want to allow multiple requests to happen at the same time.

    oXmlHttp.onreadystatechange = function() {
       ... code here.
    };

    Anyway, just a thought.

    {lurk:on}


  • rhmrhm
    dantheman82 wrote:
    It isn't really that hard to implement.


    It's not difficult to handcraft this behaviour for a single page - I mean this has been possible to some extent since IE4 as you could load data into a IFrame and then copy it across to the main page using the DOM. A single example like Google Maps and Suggest is interesting as a tech-demo, but the key is being able to use the technique on every page of your site that has a degree of interactivity. That is aided greatly by components that can throw out the necessary javascript with the generated page as well as setting up an appropriate callback mechanism.
  • TensorTensor Im in yr house upgrading yr family

    One of the biggest boniuses of thee controls seems to It seems to me that one of the biggest advantages of these cotnrols is hat they degrade gracefully - so it will use the best method possible based on the browser, even down to just going "oh well its a postback" as a last resort. Fantastic!

Remove this comment

Remove this thread

close

Comments Closed

Comments have been closed since this content was published more than 30 days ago, but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums,
or Contact Us and let us know.