Show Off at PDC 2005
"Why demo your cool application to a few friends, when you can Show Off to thousands of your peers at the PDC?"
At this year’s PDC, we’ll be hosting our first-ever Show Off event. What the heck is Show Off, you ask? Well, Show Off is an evening event held at the PDC where you can show off your application, tip, tool, technique, animation, or anything cool that can help or inspire other developers. We’re asking you to submit a short video demonstrating what you want to show off. You can read this blog post for more information.
Even if you don’t have anything to submit, we’d love all PDC attendees to come to the Show Off event to cheer on their fellow developers in recognition of their great work. This event is by developers for developers, or to use the correct marketing lingo: Developer Powered!
We want to keep it simple, so here are the guidelines:
- You and/or your team put together a single WMV file that shows off something cool about your application, tool, technique (or whatever).
- This is a Microsoft developer conference, so make sure that it uses at least some of our technology.
- Videos are limited to 5 minutes and should not include credits. We’ll add credits to the beginning of each video.
- If you want to use a screen capture application like Camtasia Studio, HyperCam, or Windows Media Encoder, go for it! We’ll be showing these on a big screen, so please be sure to record at high quality.
- Be creative. Show something cool that would excite your peers.
- No crude language, nudity, or commercials.
- To submit your video, host the WMV file in a private, but internet-reachable location (FTP/HTTP/etc.). Then, when you fill out the submission e-mail, let us know where it is, and we'll collect it for consideration. Do not post its location publicly.
- We reserve the right to pick which videos we show at the PDC for completely arbitrary and geeky reasons.
- After the Show Off event at the PDC, you give us permission to post your video on Channel 9 for the whole world to see.
- All submissions must be made no later than Thursday, September 8th, at 5:00pm Pacific time.
If you’d like to submit a video for consideration, click the link at the bottom of this post and send us an e-mail that includes all of the following information (you might want to copy & paste this list to make it easier):
- Names of people who should receive credit
- Name of your organization (if any)
- Contact information (e-mail, URL, etc.)
- Title of the video
- The developer tools you used (both Microsoft and non-Microsoft)
- Short 2-3 sentence description of your video
- Information about how we can retrieve your video (URL, FTP, etc.)
We look forward to your submission and hope to see everyone at the
Show Off event!
MICROSOFT RELEASE FOR VIDEO
Microsoft Corporation, One Microsoft Way, Redmond, Washington 98052-6399, its subsidiaries and affiliates (collectively, “Microsoft”), is producing an audiovisual presentation comprised of third party applications, tools, techniques, etc. using Microsoft technology in unique and exciting ways for demonstration and/or performance at the Microsoft Professional Developer’s Conference 2005 and its Channel 9 web site in any and all media, including but not limited to, broadcast by cable or satellite, transmission over the Internet, or in any medium now or hereafter known, and which is entitled “PDC 2005 Show Off” (the “ PDC Video”). For good and valuable consideration, including the exposure and marketing value of the individual providing a submission for the PDC Video and the contents thereof (the “Video Submission”), you agree as follows:
1. You hereby grant to Microsoft an non-exclusive, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide license to use, copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, publicly perform and display, broadcast and otherwise exploit your Video Submission and your name, likeness, image, photograph, voice, biography, appearance, and other aspects of your person and Video Submission (the “Rights”) in the PDC Video and for any other uses that Microsoft may make of your Video Submission, in any and all media now or hereafter known, including, without limitation, uses of your Video Submission and portions hereof, on television, cable, satellite transmission, film, videotapes, photographs, and the Internet and World Wide Web. Nothing herein shall be construed as an obligation of Microsoft to use your Video Submission in any manner. You agree that Microsoft will own all rights in the PDC Video, as well as all documentation pertaining to the PDC Video.
2. By submitting a Video Submission, you warrant and represent that you have the legal authority to enter into agreement with Microsoft. You also warrant and represent that no rights granted herein shall be a violation of any right of any other person or entity. You release and discharge Microsoft, and its affiliates, contractors, assigns, licensees, agents and employees from any and all claims, demands or causes of action that you may have, or may in the future have, for libel, defamation, violations of the right of privacy or publicity, infringement of copyright or trademark, unfair competition, violations of moral rights or any other claims arising out of or relating to any use of your Video Submission or the rights granted under this agreement.
3. You further warrant and represent your Video Submission does not contain any viruses, Trojan horses, worms or other components designed to limit or harm the functionality of a computer.
4. No compensation will be paid to you with respect to Microsoft’s use of your Video Submission, as provided herein. Microsoft may cease the use of your Video Submission at any time in its sole discretion.
Please Note: You must be a registered Niner to submit.