Wow...er, thanks.  Smiley I was just trying to bounce ideas off of the very helpful people here after spending weeks doing through Google searches.

More ideas I bounced off of people:

Data Structures and Timing
3-D Code Tools
Off the Wall Questions About Data Structures
Looking Glass, 3-D Environments 

There is a method to the madness of the questions I was asking, because I had lots of interesting "ideas" for an IDE and a language.  I haven't worked on it in a few months (going through a divorce kind of throws off your concentration a bit), but one thing I was (and still am) trying to figure out is "which platform".  As in, Linux or Windows.  After reading about what might happen to OpenGL performance under Vista and re-familiarizing myself with Knoppix last weekend, I'm leaning towards Linux now. Plus, I had a couple of office application ideas, and well, I don't think Microsoft/Windows needs any help at this point. 

I didn't get very far through some of the compiler books, but that is more of a personal-learning-style issue because one of the books worked really well for me (Louden's I think).  I understand the concepts for the most part.  Problem was, I had to return it to the library (who in turn returned it to the university) and only got through the chapter on "Non-Deterministic Finite State Automata". Perplexed

Besides, for something as big as I am envisioning, I'm still trying to decide whether I want to commit the time to it.