000400 DATA DIVISION.
    000410 WORKING-STORAGE SECTION.
    000430 PROCEDURE DIVISION.
    000440     DISPLAY "Hello World! "
    000450     DISPLAY "From COBOL.NET!!"
    000460 END PROGRAM MAIN.

• David OliverSabot My name is Dave Oliver. I'm a Technical Architect

Karim wrote:
    Once upon a time, a man went to a restaurant and ordered a hamburger.

The hamburger arrived and the man started to eat.  It was the most delicious, juicy hamburger he had ever eaten in his life.

"Excuse me, waiter," the man said.  "What's up with this hamburger?  It's wonderful!"

"Ah," said the waiter.  "At this restaurant, the chef makes his hamburger from ground-up filet mignon."

The man frowned and put down his hamburger.  "Well in that case, I don't think you can still call it 'hamburger,' can you?" he asked angrily.

Karim,

Whats in a name?

'Karim' means 'generous dude', so mate where's my Christmas beer?

[6]

• YggdrasilYggdrasil Pour me a cab, 'cause I can't drink no more.

W3bbo wrote:
    Which had me wondering, whilst we're typing out commands long-winded using GOSUB, how can Microsoft call the latest revision of VB (albiet as a frontend for .NET) "Basic"?

It doesn't call it "Basic". It calls it "Visual Basic.NET", because it's a programming language with a syntax derived from Basic, and is part of the Basic family of languages.

Just like C# is a programming language with a language derived from C, a part of the C family of languages. It's definitely not C, but I don't see anyone clamoring to change the name.

• TensorTensor Im in yr house upgrading yr family

blowdart wrote:
    000330 IDENTIFICATION DIVISION.
    000340 PROGRAM-ID. MAIN.
    000350 AUTHOR. Anon Y Mouse.
    000360 DATE-WRITTEN. 20 December 2005.
    000380 ENVIRONMENT DIVISION.
    000400 DATA DIVISION.
    000460 END PROGRAM MAIN.

OUT FOUL DEMON!

• blowdartblowdart Peek-a-boo

Tensor wrote:
    blowdart wrote:
    000340 PROGRAM-ID. MAIN.
    000400 DATA DIVISION.
    000460 END PROGRAM MAIN.

OUT FOUL DEMON!

Fujitisu is my dark master.

NetCOBOL for .net

I swear if they did a free version that plugged into VS2005 (talking of which where is the IronPython / VS2005 integration) I'd use it in presentations as my primary source language.

• TensorTensor Im in yr house upgrading yr family

blowdart wrote:
    Tensor wrote:
    blowdart wrote:
    000340 PROGRAM-ID. MAIN.
    000400 DATA DIVISION.
    000460 END PROGRAM MAIN.

OUT FOUL DEMON!

Fujitisu is my dark master.

NetCOBOL for .net

I swear if they did a free version that plugged into VS2005 (talking of which where is the IronPython / VS2005 integration) I'd use it in presentations as my primary source language.

STOP STOP THE NOISE MAKE IT STOP!

• W3bboW3bbo Work hard; increase production; prevent accidents, and be happy.

• cokertcokert

I've had this conversation a million times before, but never had any kind of satisfactory resolution.  I'm hoping someone here can offer some insight so I can put this to bed in my head. 

What's the real difference between C# and VB.NET?  My stance is it’s completely a preference thing.  I prefer VB.NET.  I use C# sometimes, but I have been completely unable to find anything I can't do in VB.NET except i++.

I prefer VB because the code is more readable, but that's something that would get better over time.  I can read c# (I write in it about 20% of the time), but VB is just more natural to read.  The other reason (and the bigger reason to me) is variable declaration.  In VB, I type "Dim a as " and VS prompts for the type.  With C# you have to know the variable names or type CTRL+J to show the inteillisense prompt.  Some people have said this is a lazy, stupid reason to prefer a language, but isn't intellisense and having the IDE do as much of the work as possible the WHOLE POINT OF USING AN IDE???

Another difference I read somewhere is the compiler does a few further optimizations on c# code than it does on vb.net, so w/ large apps, I’d imagine c# is the better choice.  (None of the projects I'm on are large enough to see a difference.  Plus I have no idea if this is 100% true...)

My ranting and frustrations aside, my question really is what are the real differences that set them apart?  VB.NET now has xml comments.  Generics work. What does c# have that vb.net doesn't that makes it superior?  Or do I just end up talking to language snobs all the time?

• blowdartblowdart Peek-a-boo

Tensor wrote:

STOP STOP THE NOISE MAKE IT STOP!

Perhaps you were prefer Fortran? Ada?

Actually it's a shame it seems to difficult to make plugins for VS. Microsoft missed a serious trick here in easy adoption. ActiveState announced last week they were dropping ActivePerl's integration for VS due to lack of interest and they couldn't give it away due to the SDK license used.

If MS made it extremely easy to drop in a new language compiler, help and intellisense into VS and gave that interface away it would be wonderful, but they're still completly @n@l about a lot of APIs.

I tried to track down the SCC API to try to write a generic MSBuild task that would work with any source control provider that plugged into Visual Studio. Can't get it, and I can't see any good reason why not.

• Thread Closed

This thread is kinda stale and has been closed but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums,
    or Contact Us and let us know.