I'll answer as one of "the rest of you". I've been doing IT for about 10 years professionally. My first paid gig was doing the JavaScript for IBM and Microsoft's site (funky floating frames on purple background for IBM, and a menu system vaguely like the current one for MS).

To be honest, I've never commanded a high salary. Part of that has been the industries I've worked in: 6 years in non-profit, 2 years for 'stock option' dot com's and most recently in healthcare.

None of which pay incredibly well.

In my last job I was the Director of IS / IT in charge of a team of 15, bringing in 2.5M$ in income (total income for the company was 5M$/year). Pay? 40K.

That's non-profit work for you.

I'm making more now, but to be honest I don't care about money. Never really have. I'm sure part of this is being Canadian (as a rule our "dream" is to pay off our debts and go on a vacation once a year, which I'm now able to say is basically accomplished).

I'd just love to be in a job where the company is has a direction, people love to do their jobs, there's loads of teamwork and energy and lots of potential. Someplace where smart people work with smart people to produce great 'stuff'.