Shining Arcanine wrote:
Don't you mean ASP.NET? Not ASP. Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe ASP is a scripting language that is 3-5 times slower than PHP while ASP.NET is a compiled framework that  performance wise, blows PHP away, even with Zend Optimizer.

SQL Server 2000 is not losing ground to MySQL because while it is an enterprise class product, MySQL is not.

Rage on Pokebrother!

As somebody that uses both, MySQL is certainly fine for some things, like, when I need a database on Debian or I'm implementing some application that was pre-written for it. It's certainly easier to me to use than some of the other DBs available in that scope since it is significantly like SQL Server.

Where MySQL fell apart for me in maintaining anything more than a single-application system. At the time I did a lot with it (I waS working C# Data Access then) that was fine.

When it came to using it for more than one application or having to do a lot of administration work against it, the tools then weren't up to snuff compared to SQL Server.

I'm sure than since MySQL AB incorporated and found a profit motivation to make MySQL more competitive that the product has continued to improve. Its easy for them to agile in that sense. But then, I find it ironic that in order to get their paper on how MySQL can reduce your TCO by 90%, you have to register on their site.