MrJay wrote:

Now are you honestly going to tell me that these guys live and work in an area like Redmond, Washington for one of the richest companies in the world and they aren't bringing in at least 100K a year including benefits?

I live and work in Seattle, WA and I make less than 100K a year. I bought a house in the city, I have two cars. I even have a child. Housing is more expensive in Redmond because of all the retired Softies McMansions. But apartments and houses in Kirkland, Bothel, Bellevue, Seattle, Issaquah and other places within commuting distance to Redmond aren't that expensive. In fact, they were about on par with what I was paying in Albuquerque and Santa Fe NM.

You can live here on less than 100K/year. You can live nicely here on less than 100K/year. I have a friend renting a house in Ballard, one of the trendiest neighborhoods in Seattle, who is an indie Flash developer.

Last I checked, and I *do* check, Microsoft pays about 80%-85% of the market rate for developers. That may be old data though.