JasonOlson wrote:
And I NEVER said I was being professional. I claimed nothing more than to be sharing my opinion, just like Scott.

How can I NOT get offended when someone directly calls me "not worth it" and that I'm basically useless? Especially someone who has "clout". Defending your company is right.

I don't mind "growing a thicker skin." It's one thing when these claims are made by a troll, it's another thing altogether when they are made by someone who is respected in the community.

But hell, if I were Rory, everyone would be cheering for me. But I'm not, so I'm just a whiney, sniveling, no-for-good M$ employee.

Dude...

First off, I can empathize with your frustration. Being an MS employee is hard if you actually care about what you do. Obviously, just as with any company, there are people here who show up just because it's a job, but you and I grew up professionaly around MS, and getting jobs here was important for both of us.

But, think back to our conversation at lunch - I told you why I haven't been writing much lately. The fact is, people don't cheer for me. Some will agree, and some won't - just as Jamie said he'd miss you, and Ian expressed a different opinion.

I don't want anyone to think that I get special treatment, because I really don't. I've screwed up a lot, and I've gotten called out on it a lot (as a side note, it's not the legitimate complaints that have gotten to me - it's every single time someone has written in expressly for the purpose of slamming me out of some immature impulse).

If you go back and look at the Rory-Scoble fight-a-thon, people were slamming both of us for what was a very childish expression of our feelings. I was angry because I was sick of him slamming companies. That one about MS pushed me over the edge. There you go.

Still, I did take quite a few punches over that. On my blog, over email, in here... people weren't happy.

I consider you to be one of my closest friends in this industry. I respect your opinion and I enjoy your company. My blog has probably been the source of more pain in my life than any other single thing (aside from the unavoidable familial tragedies we all deal with), and I'd like it if that didn't cross over into our friendship.

You're mad, and it's understandable. Scott was a baby about the way he mouthed off, you didn't show a lot of restraint in your response, Charles is frustrated because he loves 9 and is probably getting tired of all the negativity...

We care about this stuff, which is why we're here to begin with, and there are going to be days when things don't line up the way we'd like them to. It's all right, yo. Things suck today, but you'll feel better tomorrow. Maybe not much, but a little. Then a little more the day after, and so on. It doesn't mean that Scott behaved well, nor does it mean you shouldn't feel justified in your anger, but... well, this is going to sound really stupid coming from me...

It isn't worth it. The result of all my fighting with Scoble? Nothing's changed. He hasn't learned anything. Somewhere along the way, I strayed from my message and the reason I started in on him in the first place... my mood went south... it really bothered me, and it wasn't until I forced myself to stay away from a PC for a weekend that I was able to get the perspective I needed to feel better about things.

I wish that someone had come along and physically restrained me, as issues of that nature get so far under your skin that you don't even realize just how crazy it's all getting.

For the rest of the day - and this is just advice from a friend who recently went through something similar - don't think about Scott. Don't think about the locked thread. Nobody in here thinks any differently of you. You're just going to get stressed out over nothing. You'll be surprised at how quickly the anger fades once you walk away. It was the best possible thing I could have done, even though I did it way too late.

You're a lucky guy. You've got that wife person who loves you, and you have a kid thing on the way. That's so much more important than the Coffeehouse, Channel 9, Microsoft, or what some guy has to say about the company.

Focus on the good stuff. You will feel better.

Just an opinion...