W3bbo wrote:
My money says no, since they bent-over for the restrictions on the Zune.

Anyway, according to some website, the big media people want you to pay to transfer music between devices. So that "My Music" SMB share on your computer? Yeah, that'll be illegal.

Would Microsoft bend over and prevent sharing of DRM'd files (or rather, any media files) over your LAN, the Internet (via IIS), or anything?

Consider the Zune, that puts a 3day/3play limit on any "squirted" music, regardless of its license (and thanks to a technicality they couldn't be sued for breaking Creative Commons or Copyleft).

So who'se to say Windows Vienna or Windows VII won't?

Discuss.

Right now, there's a huge grey area associated with multimedia content.

In the US, the courts have clearly stated that you are allowed to make backups of media you have purchased, that right is unambiguous under current law.

It is NOT clear if you have the ability to transform the content on the media you have purchased - so ripping a CD to MP3 might not be allowable (nobody knows - it's never been adjudicated, and the law is ambiguous).

And if it IS allowable, it's not clear if you have the ability to store that content in a playable form on more than one device (so you MIGHT be able to put the content on your MP3 player).

And if that IS allowable, it's not clear if you have the ability to play that content from more than one place at a given time (IANAL, but I suspect that if you are allowed to rip the content to MP3, you'd be allowed to play it back from a player other than an analog CD player (but I'm not sure)).

If it IS allowable to play back content from more than one place at a time, it's not clear if you can share that content with the members of your family.

It is quite clear that once you have ripped content, you're not allowed to share that content to anyone else - there are plenty of court cases that make that clear (for instance, the original Napster case).

So there's a broad spectrum of rights from the clearly legal to the clearly illegal.  Right now where we stand on that spectrum is ambiguous - we literally don't know, and we won't know until the courts (or Congress) step in and define our rights.

IMHO, the content owners would love it to be all the way at the restricted form of the spectrum (you can make a CD backup of the content but nothing else), but I suspect that the consumer backlash would be significant.  Again, IMHO the content owners know this and they're only going after the clearly illegal cases.

They're not going to waste their time on the other parts.

But this is ALL my opinion.