One of the most annoying things in Vista is that once you change your system sounds, applications will play the default sound (typically "Windows Ding.wav") every time you select an item in a listview control. Frankly, this was driving me to distraction and so I spent some time digging around and thought I would share here, in case anyone else was annoyed. My apoligies if this has already been posted elsewhere.

It turns out, it looks there's a bug in the Control Panel applet where you set your sound preferences. Even if you have the "Select" sound set to nothing, it's creating an entry (what is probably a null string) in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\CCSelect\.Current.

Because it's not actually a sound file, it reverts to the default sound. And, because the folks at Microsoft apparently want to make this as annoying as possible, if you disable the default sound, then it decides to do you the "favor" of beeping using your system speaker. Everyone on the Vista team should be forced to wear headphones and listen to an endless loop of "Windows Ding.wav" until a fix is published for this. I'm just saying.

In the meantime, here's a temporary fix in the form of a registry file. Note that you'll need to run this after every time you change your system sounds through the control panel, or the Ding from Hellâ„¢ will return:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\CCSelect]
@=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\CCSelect\.current]
@=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\CCSelect\.Default]
@=""

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\AppEvents\Schemes\Apps\.Default\CCSelect\.Modified]
@=""