kettch wrote:
Word indeed.

I think that this is one of the reasons why the Jack O'Neil character in SG1 worked so well. He convinced everyone around him that he was just this gung-ho soldier guy who didn't really understand a lot of what was going on around him. Then, he'd always end up letting on that he was a whole lot sharper than anybody though.

They've done something similar with Cameron Mitchell and John Sheppard, but, in my opinion, it doesn't quite have the same impact.

Yeah - O'Neill ("...that's O'Neill! With TWO l's!" - as he was oft heard to say) rocked. I thought his departure was gonna be mine as well, but I thought Claudia Black added a lot to make up for the early mistakes in Mitchell's character.

For the first few shows, it felt like the writers were still writing for O'Neill - they had Mitchell speaking much like O'Neill, and it just didn't work. But, by the end of the season, things had improved greatly.

I thought the timing on the cancellation was horrible since Ben and Mitchell were both becoming a great part of the show. I also loved where they were going with Daniel. He was far more irreverant than in previous seasons. I wish they could have kept that going.

But I'm past all that now. Season three of Atlantis came out yesterday, and I've been enjoying the extras. I'll cry my eyes out (again) about SG-1 later Smiley