I think you have to give credit to Microsoft for doing all this application blocks stuff in the first place - certainly they could be more coherent with each other, but it's still early days (most are still version 1), and as they mature they can only get more consistent with each other and stable.

With the bit about Response.Redirect vs Server.Transfer, I guess you're referring to UIP? On the GotDotNet forum for UIP, the developers have explained that a decision was made based on customer feedback that they would prefer the URL not to remain constant in the browser address box. The main thing is, you get the full source, so its possible to change these things to fit your needs, or you can use them just to get architectural ideas.

(BTW, very curious - why shouldn't ApplicationException be inherited from - I think I remember reading this once, but forgot why)

I'm struggling to think of things to complain about with Microsoft, as with all this openness in the last couple of years they have addressed most of my major concerns. However, I still get annoyed at the documentaion for .NET - generally its first class, but there are sometimes glaring errors or misinformation, and its still up there on MSDN - e.g. things like the order of certain events in Windows Forms apps, or the exact return value of certain functions in all cases - sometimes the most obvious case is missed out. Also, maybe some links to relevant parts of the .NET Framework Development Guide from the FCL references. And how about incorporating QuickStarts directly into the docs?

The docs are the most polished yet from Microsoft, I think, but surely you could have a small team chugging away through all that stuff to really squeeze out the last mistakes from it. I encounter mistakes in the docs on an almost daily basis, and I often use the feedback thing to report the mistake, but nothing ever seems to change.

However, that was scraping the barrel a bit, and I would still say the .NET documentation is way above previous efforts, and most other companies. But it could go just that extra few yards, and be practically faultless.