Interesting question. We just bought replacement hardware for our OWA box. The old OWA box is running OWA 5.5 on NT4, in it's own little domain. In order to have it's own little domain, this old box is the PDC, because (to my knowledge) 5.5 needs to authenticate against a domain.

So, new hardware comes in today, and we've assigned one of the Dell 1750's. Brand new box.

Problem? Server Assistant doesn't support NT4.

So, we have 2 options. First, try and install all the RAID stuff... Major pain, and we really don't want to do it.

So, our options are kind of slim. We're thinking if we need to go to 2000, we'll need to install ActiveDirectory in the 'domain' but aren't sure how to get OWA 5.5 to talk to ActiveDirectory (which we'd need to promote to the PDC of the domain), since it requires an actual domain to join.

A lot of this is compounded by the fact that we don't use ActiveDirectory anywhere in any of our 50+ domains (it's all eDirectory and NT4 authentication).

So, I guess my question boils down to:

1. Can we install OWA 5.5 on Windows 2000 (this leads me to believe we can: http://www.msexchange.org/tutorials/Installing_Outlook_Web_Access_55_In_Windows_2000_Server.html)
2. How can we get OWA 5.5 to join a 'domain' admin'd by AD
3. If those aren't options, can we install OWA 2000 and get it to interface with Exchange 5.5?

Thanks Wink

J