1. What interested you in this field of work?

When I was a kid, I was ripped off by a "Super Breakout" machine at a Godfather's Pizza.  I looked at it and said, "I could do better."  Since then, I have.

2. What requirements do you need to have a position in this field?

Knowledge of your platform and programming language of choice, and a willingness to accept "no" for an answer.

3. What software programs do you need to know in this field?

It depends on which subfield of programming you're going into.  If it's video games, C++ is a must, as is knowing at least something about 3D editing packages.  For government coding, we use Visual Basic .NET and some custom scripting languages required by some of the crud we have to work with.

4. Do you belong to any professional organizations?

I belong to several user groups.

5. What duties do you have during a typical day?

Design, code, test, deploy, rinse, repeat.

6. What do you like the most about your job?

I can work on any project I want in any order I want.

7.  What do you like the least about your job?

If I need custom functionality, I either have to find a BSD or public domain version of the functionality or develop it myself due to budget constraints.  A lot of times, we get crunch projects where the entire project has to be done in under four weeks.

8. What advice would you give to a student entering this field?

Do it because you love it, not because of the pay...because the pay is already leaving.

9. Are there any perks with the job you have?

In three more years, I'll be fully vested in our pension.

10. How many hours per week do you work?

I work 40 hours a week.  (Government employee.)  Since I worked 80-100 hours a week back when I was at Microsoft Game Studios, the 30% pay cut was a decent exchange for the 50-60% cut in hours.

11. Do you get paid hourly, salary, or by project?

Salary.

12. Any additional comments

Didn't it suck dying on CD #1?