Manip wrote:
<Directory C:\Windows>
  Order deny, allow
  Deny from all
</Directory>

That is all you have to write to block access to windows with apache. No XML, nice simple... I can explain that to anyone in 1min and can write it in even less time. XML == Evil!

Before you all come back at me about how IIS can use NTFS to secure its files.. so can apache for windows and Apache for Linux if you decide to install ACL.

Can you not see that what you wrote is XML?

From where I stand, XML makes it easy to configure files. I personally like it better than INI files. Besdies if the config file is in XML it's easier to write your own tools to manipulate those configurations than if it was a proprietary binary file, or a text file with no real organization. Also when migrating to a new server, you don't need to export registry settings and then import them, you just copy the XML files. Now if only IIS had an install methodology like Tomcat with its WAR files.

As for what I'd like to see in the next server version, well I like the path that 2003 took with fewer applications installed by default maybe there are more services and such that don't need to be started by default.

Also a host firewall turned on by default, or even better an initial install mode where no ports are open to incoming traffic while you patch your system. Today when you install 2000 or 2003 there are dozens of QFE's that you have to install immediately, but because of the way that some worms spread, you don't have time to download the patches before the worm hits you.

Also, I understand the need to test the Service Packs completely, but they need to happen more frequently. Or at least have rollups more often where you take all the current patches and roll them up into one 36MB download (or whatever it turns out to be). Do this once a quarter, and make these easy to slipstream into the OS install disk.