The truth of the matter is that it takes a long time to get an application framework right. It was like that with Winforms, and that contained a few new controls, but a lot of the functionaity was a wrapper around the Win32 API (tell you some thing you did not know already)

WPF will probably reach a satisfactory level of stability and usability in the next couple of versions. after that we will move onto the next big thing. I am currently working with DevExpress controls - not through choice mind - and boy are we coming across some bugs. Each time we update the controls, a few days are lost in the development tracing down bugs, so it really is prefable to tackle projects with something like Winforms, where most of the issues are sorted out, and all the bugs are known with workarounds or avoids.

I think a lot of people need to step out into the real world, away from hobby projects and into the world of producing software for companies and you will find uptake of WPF pretty high.

I am constantly turning work down, because recruitment agencies cannot find enough people with modern .NET 4.0 skills so there is a marked difference between the hypothetical bashing and FUD in this thread, and the real world. I don't hope to convince or see any placation of this fact, but WPF is gaining traction, and a lot of applications are creating experiences that would be otherwise impossible.

I cannot point you to any examples because of the nature of the clients but trust me WPF is kicking backsides, and in the next few years something ubiquitous will arrive, it's just that in the world we live in all the essential tools like downloaders, browsers etc were already written, so visibility for the Bass type people will be non-existant hence the supposition of low uptake.