, JohnFx wrote

I'm still relatively new to WPF, but I have to agree with the OP. It seems like it solves all sorts of problems I didn't have, and creates a lot of problems I didn't have before also.

I'd heard that web developers would find the transition easier, but that isn't the case for me. The problem is that XAML is close enough to XHTML to make you think you might know what to do, but those instincts usually turn out to be incorrect. And that binding syntax is freaking insane. Who designed that crap? This whole thing reminds me of when the SharePoint team decided that SQL (or LINQ) wasn't good enough for their product and they had to create the unholy abomination OCAML because XML was their hammer and everything looked like a nail.

have you ever had to mess with windows forms and it's data binding ??

it's got a ton of issues that can trip you up.

and win forms layout has a lot of problems *if* you want to make really good forms that do things like flow / adjust to the display size or do any nice effects. not even touching animation etc... just simple stuff that's hard in win forms due to how they put every visual control in a window.

a large winforms display of one form can have like 50-100 "windows" to make what the user sees are one "window".   at least in wpf  it can be one window!

no wpf / xaml is not perfect. but what is ?  all of our programming tools / languages etc... are flawed and that's why they keep coming out with new ones trying to get better with each version.