Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements

• Oops, something didn't work.

Getting "follow" information
    Start following this thread
    Removing your "follow"
    Setting up your "follow"
  • evildictaitorevildictait​or Devil's advocate

Andre said:

Consolidate and centralize Networking into two locations/explorers for everything networking. Right now there are just too many confusing windows for networking: Network, Network Sharing Center, Manage Network Connections, and Network Map. Some of the task links in Network and Sharing Center could be on the fly radio box links that changes the view of the window when clicked. Try to give the user some focus.

Well, partly this is because networking (particularly wireless networking) originated back in Windows XP and sprawled a bit. Windows Vista did a great job of consolidating this into something resembling sanity, but I would certainly agree with you that more can be done here.

Andre said:

Try and make more dialogs in the system into actual explorer windows that can reveal more information such as:

++

I would, however, be surprised if these were not properly integrated in Windows 7. It's pretty obvious stuff.

Andre said:

Thinner window borders, they are too large.

You won't get that. Windows borders are the size they are because any thinner and windows stop having clear boundaries and it becomes substantially more difficult to resize the windows. It might be hard to believe but there is actually user research on the subject.

Andre said:

Make initial phase of Windows Setup when launched from within an existing running version of Windows minimize to
    Notification Area, so you can do something else while files copy from the Windows 7 disk. When the files have finished copying, a mandatory 1 minute notification should appear informing the user that a restart is required to continue installation, save all work and click ok to continue. I can do this now, by initiating the Windows + D command, but it’s cumbersome and does not feel official.

That sounds like a badly thought out idea. When someone is installing a new operating system, the last thing you want them to be doing is playing around with the files that you're trying to backup before purging all of Windows. I, for one, think that Grandma and Grandpa would find it easier if they backed up their files (presumably using their children who are total wizard at these new fangled computers) and then popped the disk in the drive and let Windows get on with it, rather than complicating everything by saying Windows Vista, Vista, Vista, Seven! Surprise!

Andre said:

Speaking of installation, don’t let Windows tell me it has completed installing, when it still has to go through an optimization phase before it actually takes you to the log in screen or desktop. I notice after I setup an account in Vista, select my recommended security settings, it has to go through this tiresome, boring optimizing computer performance routine. Make that be a part of the actual installation, please.

It does already.

Andre said:

Create a System Restore point on first boot, seems like a good idea to me. So, if you do hose your system with the first app you install, Windows 7 got you covered.

It does already.

Andre said:

Do not put the swap file (pagefile.sys) at the end of the drive; I want to make partitions in Disk Management larger than 2 GBs.

You can use a partition manager to sort this I think. It's an option during Windows installation, but you need to boot from the CD rather than "upgrading" from inside Windows.

Andre said:

Ability to boot off Windows 7 DVD into a basic Windows environment with basic networking, ability to access storage devices and access to the Internet, you could make this possible by improving on the System Recovery Environment in Vista.

That sounds like a driver nightmare. For instance, my computer needs a seperate CD to get wireless drivers and has to download drivers to have more than 800x600 256color mode. Those drivers don't come with Windows.

Andre said:

Upgrade an existing installation of Windows by booting off the DVD, the point of killing something like this that has been in Windows for so long seemed pointless. Why must I boot into Windows to start an up upgrade? I could simply, boot the computer, insert disk, boot from Windows 7 installation disk and select upgrade and it does the rest.

Because otherwise the Windows 7 disk needs to know about the layout of every previous version of Windows, which takes a whole lot of time and testing. It's better to (ab)use the previous version of Window's API to save itself somewhere before hosing it and putting in a new API for the new version. There's also all of the licencing things here.

Andre said:

Internet Guest account, this brings down your settings on any high speed internet enabled Windows 7 computer, a very secure high encryption account, once you log out settings and personal files are removed. Your Windows Live Hotmail address is used to do this and there must be no option at all to save username or password on the computer. Personalized options include, access to your personal files, access to your Skydrive, this would be excellent for public computers and kiosk.

How long before that is exposed by various Linux hackers? I'd give it maybe three months before there are double-click ready apps that would allow some unscrupulous teenagers to keep a hold of the username, password and files on any computer, and a further week before that's been installed on every internet cafe computer in America.

Andre said:

Include viewers for common applications like PowerPoint, Word, Photoshop, and Illustrator. I am not asking for the ability to edit, just view them if I don’t have the appropriate applications installed. You might say I should download the viewers for PPT and Word or buy the application, but I think with the ubiquity of Office, the ability to view them should be native in the OS. Make previewing richer and more agile, by simply hovering a file I can see a full preview of the file (with the ability to turn this feature off.

There are anti-trust cases which explicitly prevent this.

Andre said:

Standardized Save and Open windows in addition to standardized ‘Do You Want to Save this file?’ modal dialogs in all Windows based applications and Microsoft software applications, make an effort for every third party application developer to jump on board for this.

Already done.

Andre said:

Include a built in dictionary, I would suggest the Encarta Dictionary, could also make it a Gadget.

Licensing issues would make this difficult. A dictionary ships with Microsoft Word anyway.

Andre said:

Publish movies directly from Windows Movie Maker to MSN Soap box, Windows Live Spaces, Facebook, You Tube, Flickr and Skydrive.

Microsoft wouldn't ever promote a rival technology such as YouTube, and consequently would be accused of anti-trust if it tried to implement a version for soap-box etc. Unless Skydrive is integrated into windows as a virtual hard disk (which I doubt) simmilar problems would exist there.

Andre said:

Please include the supported Language Packs in the appropriate Windows 7 SKUs on the actual disk; I don’t want to see these showing up in Windows Update at all, even if we do now have the ability to hide updates.

Why should I have to have 4GB of language packs on my disk that I can't speak and will never use? It makes more sense for them to be available on my Windows installation disk or downloadable from the internet, which is the current system.

Andre said:

Officially support dual booting with prior versions of Windows, accept it, it’s a fact of life, people dual boot. I have 6 versions of Windows on my computer right now and I want a powerful built in boot manager that’s easy to use like EasyBCD by NeoSmart Technologies, hey I’m sure Mahmoud Al-Qudsi would join your development team for free just have this working in Windows 7.

If they do this then people will never upgrade from Windows Vista. They might buy Win7, and Windows Vista will be still in common usage when Win8 ships. It will be a nightmare for maintenance and for what gain?

Andre said:

Help and Support, give actual examples of scenarios, not instructions. If Paul was setting up a home network, show Paul an actual example of setting up a home network in Windows, not where to find the things, but how the thing is done. Jesus Christ led by example, let Windows 7 take a cue from that.

He also used parables and was a manual (emmanuel - geddit? oh never mind).

Andre said:

Ejecting USB devices needs to be less annoying, just the other day, I clicked the eject USB device icon in Notification area, yet it insisted the device is still in use. I closed out all applications and explorer windows associated with the device, yet it kept nagging me. Come on, please let me be in control and tell Windows I know better sometimes.

I assume you mean a USB stick. Because of the way flash memory works, if you remove it during a write you can end up with a corrupted filesystem on the disk. Therefore Windows objects if you try and remove it while there are open file pointers for writing to the drive. It's a problem that not all applications properly close their file pointers (windows does clean them up however when the app closes, even if the app is badly behaved). A consequence of this is that sometimes a USB can get "stuck". Rebooting or just removing the stick usually works.

Andre said:

Viruses, I have to say this, it’s still a fact on Windows Vista, even the 64 bit platform. Just the other day, my friends Vista Home Premium 64 bit Laptop contracted a virus that disabled Run, Task Manager, Command Prompt and any type of Administrative activity. Could you please put something in Windows Security that says, hey’ this is a regular consumer user who would never want these type of things disabled. What’s interesting, these things are coming through the browsers, which must mean some tightening up needs to be done there.

A virus is executable code. So is the CD you put in to hose Windows Vista and install Windows 7. You can't have it both ways. Either Windows 7 can't be installed (i.e. all apps have massive limitations to what they can do) or viruses can do bad things.

Andre said:
    Harmonization between Internet Explorer and Windows Explorer again. Remember in the pre-Vista days when you typed a URL in Windows Explorer window (My Documents, Pictures etc and it automatically transformed into the IE web browser? I want to see that magic again.

There are lots of good reasons for not doing this. Anti-trust explicitly prevents Microsoft from doing this, but also I don't want the buggy mess of code that is Internet Explorer running arbitrary code off the Internet and being the same program that I use to delete folders recursively. It just doesn't seem like a good idea to me to have those two programs anywhere close to each other.

Andre said:

Postpone restarting my computer to install updates option to ‘when I feel like it’?

I agree 100%. The rationale for not doing so is rather obvious though - lots of computers never really turn off, and choosing that option on that computer effectively turns off Windows Update permanantly. Perhaps there should be a new option "For 12/24 hours".

Andre said:

Built in support for Industry Standard image based file formats, there is some degree of support .VHD, but I would like to see it taken to the next level, in addition to support for the ubiquitous .ISO, ability to mount, browse and burn from within Windows 7.

I agree, but who owns the patent on the ISO file format? This could be expensive.

Andre said:

Support WinRAR compressed files, please.

That really is expensive. WinRAR have a totally ridiculous idea of what their file format is worth, and Microsoft is absolutely right for not paying the frankly ridiculous sums involved there.

Andre said:

What’s up with the Windows Aurora screensaver in Screen Savers? Get rid of that thing, pronto!

Why?

Andre said:

Repair Network connection dialog – could you actually make this useful? For instance, I can’t get access to the Internet, please don’t tell me to ask my Administrator for help! The Administrator account is even disabled in Windows these days, most home users don’t even know what an Administrator is and duh, they are most often the Standard Administrator of the computer. I am looking for real solutions here. Here is a list of common problems associated with networking.

It's actually pretty smart as an expert system goes. It's got a lot of diagnostic tests and it's pretty good at working it out. The "go and find an administrator" is it's default response when it can't work out what's wrong, and it concludes that "Windows is stupid" is more damaging to Microsoft than "i dunno what's wrong, go ask some computer whizard".

Andre said:

Could you actually include both Windows 7 32 and 64 bit disk in the packaging? I am sick of the complaints this caused, especially in the retail space. ‘Hey, I thought Vista Home Premium was available in both 32-bit and “64-bit”? Oh man, I really gonna have to sign up to get the additional disk?

The additional disk is free last I heard. Besides which, the x64 edition has a big "ONLY FOR 64 BIT MACHINES" written on the box, the 32bit version works on x64 processors anyway, and a large majority of Windows sales come with the machine and therefore nessisarilly is suited to the machine it's sold with.

Andre said:
    Various SKU woes

The heirachy is simple:

If you're a business:

Ultimate > Business

If you're an individual:

Ultimate > Home Premium > Home Basic

Andre said:
    Pricing

It is unlikely that your ideas of pricing will match up to those inside Microsoft. Microsoft may have bits of it that are dumb, but the bits that control the finances of Windows, Office and Business partners are nessisarilly obscenely smart.

Andre said:

Built in system wide spell checker. Do it for the sake of the kids and me, Windows and Office have corrupted my grammar skills and I want to mend and protect my nephews own while I am at it.

Licencing for the dictionaries is expensive, and possible antitrust issues could ensue.

Andre said:
    User Account Control, it’s not working and you need to make it AEROrized. And when I say it’s not working, it’s an annoyance and not intelligent enough to know the areas of the system that does not need it, let me list some:

-          Advanced System Setting

Something which affects all users must require elevated permissions.

Andre said:
    Change Date and Time
    Changing the date/time changes the system for all users. It needs to be elevated. Changing the time zone is a special concession that is user-specific and doesn't. Believe me this has been thought about.

Andre said:

Turn Windows Features on or off

Is a system-wide setting.

Andre said:

When I insert a software program through CD/DVD. Come on, I intentionally put the disk in the drive.

You might have inserted the CD, sure, but was it you or your teenage kid with an 18-rated game? Or an employee with a gosh-darned wonderful screensaver s/he downloaded from the internet which shows off the naughty bits of internet ladies and is guarranteed to be virus free by a huge blinked red-and-white gif image?

Andre said:

-          Disk Cleanup

Doesn't require admin permissions when doing per-user disk cleanup. Only when doing whole system disk cleanup (because it affects all users by clearing their recycle bin, temp files etc)

Andre said:

Let me designate applications I install as completely safe.

You might be wrong, and a virus could attack that program and thus elevate itself. By allowing this option you increase the surface area of injection/buffer overrun attacks in Windows to any program that is generally considered "safe", rather than to a handful of programs that need to be elevated. For example, I trust Internet Explorer to not have any viruses. I sure as hell don't trust the Internet to not break Internet Explorer and use IE to install itself on my harddrive.

Andre said:
    Areas I think need to be tightened up in terms of security? Task Manager, Run command and Command Prompt.
    None of these can do anything a normal program can't do, unless you use their elevated form (which requires you to UAC prompt click)

Andre said:
    1. The About Windows dialog and the System Properties explorer reports contradicting amounts of memory, could you please fix this:

-          System Properties - 2,559 MBs

-          Windows About dialog - 2,619,865 KBs

Looks the same to me. There are 1024 KB in a MB.

Andre said:
    Search box in Registry toolbar. The Edit > Find (CTRL + F command modal dialog is just old school and rather unintuitive.

I don't like the idea of editing the registry being "intuitive". The world would be a better place if the entire of regedit was translated into heiroglypics, and you needed to solve a suduku for every change you make.

Andre said:

1. Windows Experience Index rating needs to get its act together, I have upgraded my PC to the 9’s, yet I get a lousy rating.

·         3.2 Ghz P4 32-Bit

·         2.6 GBs of RAM

·         nVidia Geforce FX 6200 512 MB AGP

·         250 GB drive

·         Vista Ultimate 32-Bit

And I still get a lousy 2.3 rating even after that? From those specs, it’s a 3.5 minimum I say.

Post all of the numbers. It's likely there's one thing pulling your computer's score down. You might think it's a 3.5, but would it run a 3.5 rated game without faults? Windows Experience Index says you'd be pushing your luck there.

Andre said:
    Make Windows 7 faster: Startup (although I am using hibernate these days), shutdown, resume from hibernation, sleep, indexing faster (please take advantage of the multi-core CPUs, make applications pop open, just make it super, super, super fast
    Already happening.

Andre said:
    Thank You

Good suggestions. Much food for thought.

• Christian Liensbergerlittleguru <3 Seattle

spivonious said:
    "
  • Windows Experience Index rating needs to get its act together, I have upgraded my PC to the 9’s, yet I get a lousy rating.

·         3.2 Ghz P4 32-Bit

·         2.6 GBs of RAM

·         nVidia Geforce FX 6200 512 MB AGP

·         250 GB drive

·         Vista Ultimate 32-Bit

And I still get a lousy 2.3 rating even after that? From those specs, it’s a 3.5 minimum I say. "

Pretty sure the 4 year-old video card is giving you that low rating.

• It's not an average that dictates the rating. The component with the lowest rating IS the rating.

• Andre Da CostaAndre Da Costa Created with PhotoDraw 2000 V2

tfraser said:
    That's quite a list. There are some nice ideas there, though like littleguru also some that I find hard to understand.

• Thinner Window Borders: I remember watching an interview on Channel 9 with someone who was working on the UI for Windows Vista and they specifically mentioned that the window borders had been thickened over those in Windows XP because many people found the thin borders hard to use. Personally, I don't resize any of my windows (aside from maximise and restore) so it makes no difference to me, but I can imagine that for inept users the larger window borders would be valuable.
    • Standardised Save and Open Windows: An effort to implement standardised windows for saving and opening files has already been made, hence the availability of these as dialogs in Visual Studio. However, some applications have specific needs which the standardised windows cannot satisfy and it is in these situations where the developer must build their own.
    • Integration Between Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer: Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe this feature was removed for Windows Vista to assist with further separating IE from the operating system as a means of improving security. Adding this capability to Windows 7 would reverse the gain in security.

Most of the ideas seem to be fixes to existing problems, as opposed to new features for the operating system. I could be incorrect, but I don't think even Microsoft has the resources to conduct such an extensive round of fixes while simultaneously integrating the complex array of features planned for Windows 7.

Although I like the concept of dedicating a version cycle to refining the software, much like Apple plans to do with Mac OS X v10.6 and Microsoft did with Office 2007, I think both naïve users and the media would be dissapointed if Windows 7 adopted this strategy. Microsoft needs to show these people the level of innovation that Windows developers have been seeing for a long time now.

Hey tfraser,

Thanks for you response and input.

The reason I want the thinner window borders is because when my application windows are not fully maximized or an application that does not need to be maxed out like Live Messenger, the huge border just does not seem compelling or useful to me. I like certain elements of Aero, like the focus on making the contents of the window be the focus, but at the same time, it does not need to be like this with the fat borders.

Standardized Save and Open Windows: OK I see your point.

Integration Between Windows Explorer and Internet Explorer: Heh, and Vista still gets infected, please note my rant about security and Vista 64 bit becoming infected by a trojan that locks down administrative privileges. Regardless there is a visual separation between IE and Windows Explorer, there is still some problem with IE's security. So, to me IE and WE from a visual standpoint can be merged again.

Yes, the list is about improving Vista. As for last paragraph, I didn't mention anything about making Windows 7 a maintenance release unless I'm mistaken.

Thanks for the input.

• Christian Liensbergerlittleguru <3 Seattle

evildictaitor said:
    Andre said:
    *snip*

evildictaitor said:

Andre said:

Publish movies directly from Windows Movie Maker to MSN Soap box, Windows Live Spaces, Facebook, You Tube, Flickr and Skydrive.

Microsoft wouldn't ever promote a rival technology such as YouTube, and consequently would be accused of anti-trust if it tried to implement a version for soap-box etc. Unless Skydrive is integrated into windows as a virtual hard disk (which I doubt) simmilar problems would exist there.

Windows Live Photo Gallery allows you already to publish pictures on Flickr Smiley

• Andrei PAndrei P Geekpedia.​com

Do not put the swap file (pagefile.sys) at the end of the drive; I want to make partitions in Disk Management larger than 2 GBs.

I've had the same problem recently, and a defragmentation did nothing.

Make URLs work through Run dialog box without having to type in http://

I doubt that will happen because other protocols would be then left out. There can also be conflicts between local files with the same name as the website.

This topic is so rich, I had to link from my Windows 7 forums.

evildictaitor said:
    Andre said:
    *snip*

Hi evildictaitor,

Impressive! Thanks for your feedback and to those explaining the memory terminology. I still believe that Ultimate is pointless and a lot of the unique functionality could be features that are available through Windows Update. Just like how Language Packs are still recommended to be a part of Windows Update.

Andrei P said:

I've had the same problem recently, and a defragmentation did nothing.

Make URLs work through Run dialog box without having to type in http://

I doubt that will happen because other protocols would be then left out. There can also be conflicts between local files with the same name as the website.

This topic is so rich, I had to link from my Windows 7 forums.
    Hi Andrei P.

Why would I name a file google.com?

• Thread Closed

This thread is kinda stale and has been closed but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums,
    or Contact Us and let us know.