So I've decided I should try to use unix/linux as day-to-day OS, not because I've got something against Windows (I love it..), just because I think I should get some experience in the other camp. Am sure it won't last long.

Anyway, I've read "Why's (poignant) Guide to Ruby" - didn't like it much because it doesn't go into any details, the text is something between tutorial and a real book.
I think I like ruby, now I am thinking about learning ruby on rails (after one real ruby book). So I've installed netbeans 6.1 on opensuse. I know netbeans rocks for java, now in version 6 it even has support for few other languages, ruby among them.

Now netbeans detected it has to update rails (it's 1.2, newest rails is 2.1, and I don't see any button to update it in OS package manager - thank you novell), but it complained because root permission is needed for update.
Fine let me just go to terminal, maybe netbeans has special binary like in windows, maybe simple 'netbeans' will work.. not. So I did 'ps aux' to get command that fired this process. No matter how much I resized terminal I couldn't get command. Ok, so 'ps aux > lol.txt'.

I got this:

/bin/bash /usr/local/netbeans-6.1/bin/../platform8/lib/nbexec --userdir /home/myself/.netbeans/6.1 --jdkhome /usr/lib/jvm/java --branding nb --clusters /usr/local/netbeans-6.1/nb6.1:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/ide9:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/java2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/xml2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/apisupport1:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/enterprise5:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/mobility8:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/profiler3:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/gsf1:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/ruby2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/visualweb2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/soa2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/identity2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/uml5:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/harness:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/cnd2: -J-Dnetbeans.importclass=org.netbeans.upgrade.AutoUpgrade -J-Dnetbeans.accept_license_class=org.netbeans.license.AcceptLicense -J-Xmx339m -J-Dcom.sun.aas.installRoot=/usr/local/glassfish-v2ur2 -J-client -J-Xss2m -J-Xms32m -J-XX:PermSize=32m -J-XX:MaxPermSize=200m -J-Xverify:none -J-Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true -J-Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true myself 8553 11.0 7.2 723436 140872 ? Sl 18:48 0:20 /usr/lib/jvm/java-1.6.0-sun-1.6.0.u7/bin/java -Djdk.home=/usr/lib/jvm/java -classpath /usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/boot.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/org-openide-modules.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/org-openide-util.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/boot_ja.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/boot_pt_BR.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/boot_zh_CN.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_ja.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_pt_BR.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/org-openide-modules_zh_CN.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/org-openide-util_ja.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/org-openide-util_pt_BR.jar:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8/lib/locale/org-openide-util_zh_CN.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java/lib/dt.jar:/usr/lib/jvm/java/lib/tools.jar -Dnetbeans.system_http_proxy=DIRECT -Dnetbeans.system_http_non_proxy_hosts= -Dnetbeans.dirs=/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/nb6.1:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/ide9:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/java2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/xml2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/apisupport1:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/enterprise5:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/mobility8:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/profiler3:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/gsf1:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/ruby2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/visualweb2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/soa2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/identity2:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/uml5:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/harness:/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/cnd2: -Dnetbeans.home=/usr/local/netbeans-6.1/platform8 -Dnetbeans.importclass=org.netbeans.upgrade.AutoUpgrade -Dnetbeans.accept_license_class=org.netbeans.license.AcceptLicense -Xmx339m -Dcom.sun.aas.installRoot=/usr/local/glassfish-v2ur2 -client -Xss2m -Xms32m -XX:PermSize=32m -XX:MaxPermSize=200m -Xverify:none -Dapple.laf.useScreenMenuBar=true -Dsun.java2d.noddraw=true org.netbeans.Main --userdir /home/myself/.netbeans/6.1 --branding nb

Got to say this is the biggest command I've ever seen. It's the king command. Ruler of command prompts. I'm amazed. Wow. Where is it even saved? :O

Now that this is out (and rails updated successfully), I'm asking - is it worth learning rails. It's a skill sure, but after reading this and this, I think rails is useless skill. As you've probably learned I'm trying to teach myself little about web developing (long ago I knew classic asp and sql and.. but time passed).

On the one hand I want something that will save me time, but on the other hand I'm afraid rails will go too much in my way with its forced ORM and MVC and whatnot and I won't be able to touch bare metal (html and sql in this case) as easily. And I don't want to spend dozens of hours tryng to "get it" and then figure framework plain sucks. So what do you think about Rails. Any good? Or should I first go with standard php and asp.net (and its shiny webforms)?