Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements

• Oops, something didn't work.

Getting "follow" information
    Start following this thread
    Removing your "follow"
    Setting up your "follow"
  • evildictaitorevildictait​or Devil's advocate

phreaks said:
    The Nasdaq average is down 4% today, and Microsoft is also down 3%.

So what's your point?

• evildictaitor said:
    phreaks said:
    *snip*
    The Nasdaq average is down 4% today, and Microsoft is also down 3%.

So what's your point?
    6.66 is the number of the beast. Expressionless

• RoyalSchrubberRoyal​Schrubber One. How many time travellers does it take to change a lightbulb?

Dovella said:
    Thanks to Microsoft we have a technology so advanced low-cost
    Thanks to Microsoft we have a Software for all popular (free trial, Pay Open)
    Thanks to Microsoft we have improved technologies in every sector (infrastructure, hospitals, industries etc etc)
    Microsoft has always supported in every age pricing policies popular

I want this kind of monopoly direct the whole of my nation (Gates for President)

All the hatred that people have for Microsoft is only envy
    Every company must create profit
    and Microsoft is the only company that can make profit and satisfy every segment of users according to their possibilities

What other called monopoly, I call FAMILY
    because Microsoft is a family.

"Thanks to Microsoft we have a technology so advanced low-cost" 

I'd argue Microsoft's software is not as advanced as it is polished. Remember various unix systems, for years they were ahead technologicaly-wise than anything that Microsoft made. 

Good example are video players - ffmpeg is very powerful thing that comes from Linux, but becomes useful only when you cross it with good client - making (video/music) player isn't hard, hard is making good player. FFmpeg represents advanced technology and  WMP11 polish. (just compare WMP to any linux player if WMP is not your prefered option on Windows) 

Next, if you look at LINQ - in opensoure world it has been sort-of available for years in various functional languages, but microsoft packaged it into something average imperative-language developer can use. Or managed languages - java was king until java 2.0 a.k.a. C#  came. Or servers and desktops - everything we have linux has, but they have to fiddle with command prompts and sometimes uglier interface/interaction designs that are otherwise just as advanced.

And then you have macs which polished many things that are wrong in Windows, but then they too have their own quirks. I guess every system has few quirks I guess.. nobody is perfect.. except Singularity Smiley

• Alexei PavlovBlackTiger If you stumbled and fell down, it doesn't mean yet, that you're going in the wrong direction.

phreaks said:
    evildictaitor said:
    *snip*
    6.66 is the number of the beast. Expressionless
    134278 - 45834 + 348102 - 435880 = 666

WOW!

• evildictaitor said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

That's true, and it would be rather silly to suggest that Microsoft debundles IE from Windows now, but that doesn't change the fact that when Microsoft started putting IE "in the box", the most common way of getting software was by purchasing physical CDs (or hell, even floppies) either on its own or as part of a magazine or packaged bundle. 

By tying IE unessisarilly heavilly to the operating system and forcing customers who use Windows (read" everyone") to pay for IE, why would you pay for Netscape Navigator as well? Microsoft broke anti-trust legislation by removing the component of choice from customers. Since there was no real alternative to Windows, bundling IE meant that you could either one of either:
    a) No Windows
    b) Windows + IE
    c) Windows + IE + Netscape.

If IE does roughly the same thing as Netscape, why would you pay extra for it? Microsoft was removing customer choice by preventing people choosing the "Windows + Netscape (without IE)" option.

This thread does seem a bit unessisarilly biased towards Microsoft and against Apple. Sure, Apple isn't the all-singing, all-dancing wonder company that the media sometimes makes it out to be, and Microsoft probably doesn't deserve the devil-spawn baby-eater image that it has. This doesn't however mean that Microsoft wasn't being evil when it did these things. Microsoft's changed a lot over the past few years (for the better), but to cover up all of its mistakes in the past and pretend they didn't happen or that they were "common sense" or whatever is to encourage the sort of behaviour that got Microsoft the "evil-corporation" reputation and antitrust lawsuits that its having to battle with today.
    evildictaitor said:

That's true, and it would be rather silly to suggest that Microsoft debundles IE from Windows now, but that doesn't change the fact that when Microsoft started putting IE "in the box", the most common way of getting software was by purchasing physical CDs (or hell, even floppies) either on its own or as part of a magazine or packaged bundle.

... rather than having to buy a magazine and go through the trouble of installing something, I now get it for free. If I want an alternative, then I have a browser already there so I can download another one.

evildictaitor said:

By tying IE unessisarilly heavilly to the operating system and forcing customers who use Windows (read" everyone") to pay for IE, why would you pay for Netscape Navigator as well? Microsoft broke anti-trust legislation by removing the component of choice from customers. Since there was no real alternative to Windows, bundling IE meant that you could either one of either:
    a) No Windows
    b) Windows + IE
    c) Windows + IE + Netscape.

That's my point. Microsoft invents the platform. There were alternatives before and after, and bundling is anti-competitive.
    Apple invents the platform. There were alternatives before and after. Apple prevents a competing podcast app from being sold on their platform. How does that work?

evildictaitor said:

This thread does seem a bit unessisarilly biased towards Microsoft and against Apple

Yes it is a little unfair when you consider that threads that are biased against Microsoft are so hard to find on the internet these days.

:-/

The point I'm making is that Apple is basically excused from any wrongdoing that Microsoft would be crucified for. Now many years, a small upstart called Microsoft was excused from any wrongdoing that IBM would have been crucified for.

The same sort of rampant 'they can do no wrong' fanboyism as shown in the original article will lead to the same sort of monopoly in media distribution that we have in desktop operating systems. And by all accounts, no-one was happy with that.

• Ray7 said:
    evildictaitor said:
    *snip*

Yes it is a little unfair when you consider that threads that are biased against Microsoft are so hard to find on the internet these days.

:-/

The point I'm making is that Apple is basically excused from any wrongdoing that Microsoft would be crucified for. Now many years, a small upstart called Microsoft was excused from any wrongdoing that IBM would have been crucified for.

The same sort of rampant 'they can do no wrong' fanboyism as shown in the original article will lead to the same sort of monopoly in media distribution that we have in desktop operating systems. And by all accounts, no-one was happy with that.

Anti-trust laws are full of BS anyway.

• Thread Closed

This thread is kinda stale and has been closed but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums,
    or Contact Us and let us know.