PeterF said:
What Adobe does is to analyse the overlap of two pictures and choose which part should be taken from which picture. ICE could really need this kind of smart way of analysing contrasting objects to create the illusion of a seamless panorama. You notice ICE failing when taking panorama pictures where people are walking by.

Bas, also try to see if your camera keeps its light and focus setting by keeping the button half-pressed between pictures. This will illiminate the need to adjust for light differences.

Here's one of my longest stitches to date, 34799 x 2020  Pixels (70.29 MPixels) :
> You notice ICE failing when taking panorama pictures where people are walking by

I don't think that this is correct.  You may have run into a failure case but in general we do as well if not better than CS3/CS4 on this.  I feel pretty confident about saying this, because the technique that both products use was born out of a collaboration between Microsoft Research and University of Washington.  You can read more about that on my blog: http://hdview.spaces.live.com/blog/cns!1AD33AA162CE96C2!506.entry