ManipUni said:
evildictaitor said:
*snip*
Do I think you need a degree if you can already do the job? No...
Do I think other people (inc. Your bosses) overvalue a degree? Yes...
Do I think a degree is worth while? Yes... Because other people overvalue them...

Ultimately a degree is valuable in what you learn but 90% of its value comes from a piece of paper that a lot of people respect. Similarly to going to a "brand" University (e.g. Oxford, Harvard, Stanford, etc) they might not provide you with a better education but just by the respect people give them they have power.

That is just the world we live in. Businesses and the people behind them have to cover their own asses and a Collage/University is a great scapegoat if someone turns out to be terrible. "How was I meant to know they couldn't code? They had a degree from X!"

If you want to go and study to actually learn something then I congratulate you and the many thousands of unemployed art/drama students that went before you...
That's pretty much my perspective, Manip.

Is anyone willing to out themselves as a working professional without a degree? I don't have one.

Of the people I work with, I'm not aware of anyone else who does not have a degree. What do we think is the percentage of people working in this industry who don't have a degree?