Getting "follow" information
    Start following this thread
    Removing your "follow"
    Setting up your "follow"
  • Herbie SmithDr Herbie Horses for courses

Sven Groot said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*
    It depends on how you interpret the question.

If you interpret the question as: my first child is a girl. Now my wife is pregnant, what are the odds of the other one being a boy? Then it's 50%.

However, if you interpret it as: we already have two children, one of whom is a girl. How likely is it that the other is a boy? Then we must consider the following: the likelyhood of having two boys is 50% * 50% = 25%. The likelyhood of having two girls is also 50% * 50% = 25%. The likelyhood of having a boy and a girl is 50% * 50% + 50% * 50% = 50%.
    With the added information that one child is a girl, we know that two boys are impossible. We are therefore left with either boy and girl at 66% or two girls at 33%. So in 66% of the remaining scenarios, the second child is a boy.

The disagreement people are having is one of semantics, not maths.
    Sven Groot said:
    With the added information that one child is a girl, we know that two boys are impossible. We are therefore left with either boy and girl at 66% or two girls at 33%. So in 66% of the remaining scenarios, the second child is a boy.

Ooh, nice one!
    I get it now; I think my biology was getting in the way of the logic.  Good thing my PhD wasn't in maths.

Herbie

• BassBass Knows the way the wind is flowing.

Dr Herbie said:
    Sven Groot said:
    *snip*

Ooh, nice one!
    I get it now; I think my biology was getting in the way of the logic.  Good thing my PhD wasn't in maths.

Herbie

Was your Ph.D. in awesomeness? Because you are awesome. Don't assume sarcasm! This a random complement.

• Herbie SmithDr Herbie Horses for courses

Bass said:
    Dr Herbie said:
    *snip*
    Was your Ph.D. in awesomeness? Because you are awesome. Don't assume sarcasm! This a random complement.
    Thank you for your compliment, I shall keep it in a jar on the shelf where I can see it. Smiley

And you avatar is pretty cool (that's a compliment response compliment, but still a 100% compliment).

Herbie

• Thread Closed

This thread is kinda stale and has been closed but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums,
    or Contact Us and let us know.