jamie said:
littleguru said:
*snip*
i think the retail / OEM "barrier ... needs to be re-thought.

ie - Windows at Staples = 499$
but everyone knows its really $299
..or even way less for premium

This is done to make OEMs not lose sales to upgraders / build your own crowd.

I think windows sold more - when it was on shelves for 99$  that you could pick up.Ive read that windows is really around 60$ for one machine.  so... sell THAT! everywhere!

i  think the retail / OEM "barrier ... needs to be re-thought.

ie - Windows at Staples = 499$
but everyone knows its really $299

The thing with OEM vs. Retail, as far as the pricing is concerned, is essentially to do with 3 points.

1.        Support.
OEM versions of MS software are supported by the OEM, instead of MS... and the reduced price to the OEM is supposed to reflect that support cost to the OEM.  Note: I realise that OEM's usually try to wriggle out of the support requirement and tell their customers to call MS, but that's what the license requirements state.

2.        Re-Use.
OEM Licenses are normally tied to the machine they were installed on, and cannot be transferred, whereas Retail licenses are normally transferable from machine to machine, so long as you remove the product each time. i.e. OEM Office is tied to the machine it was pre-installed on, so you are up for a new copy if you buy a new machine, whereas your retail office can be installed on the new machine, sol long as you remove it from the old machine first.

3.        Upgrade Options.
OEM Licenses are normally limited in their ability to upgrade, and generally require a new version rather than an upgrade.