Joiseystud said:
sysrpl said:
*snip*

I agree that stability was an issue and it felt mostly driver issues.  I bought a brand new Dell in March 08 with Nvidia 8800GT graphics and although drivers were available, it took 6 months of driver updates before there was one available that did not randomly drop the system into low res mode requiring manually resizing the desktop.  This was very annoyning and painted a very poor picture while I used my XP laptop with no issues. 

Mind you that I bought my machine over a year after Vista general availibility and still had massive issues. Imagine the experience of people who bought in Jan 2007.  Although today Vista is actually very good, after years of pain there was just no way to rescue the Vista image. The only way was to rename the system and cut the cord to the past...  Windows 7 is very much Windows VIsta, but it is Vista 2009, not Vista 2007-2008. 

I have IT pros at my company that wouldnt touch Vista with a 10 foot pole but are excited about Windows 7.  I think that is good news for MS.  Let the upgrade cycles begin...

Another thing... the price was too high. 

I hope this time around MS is agressive with pricing and lenient with Licenses.  I would like to see a family upgrade plan that covers 3 machines. Apple does this and it is great.  I would upgrade every machine in my house if this was done, otherwise it will be likely that I will be living with Vista until I replace my machines.  This could take a long time because my machines are all pretty modern.  I dont see the need to replace my Dell Laptop with 4GB of ram and 2.4Ghz Core 2 Duo any time soon.  Really, if MS has any chance of upgrade sales, they will need to be aggressive on upgrade pricing to get users away from Vista.