I am honestly of the opinion that crapware contributes largely to the negative perceptions of Windows in general (regardless of version).

In my experience, pretty much every version of Windows works just fine out of the box as long as you have the correct drivers installed. A vanilla Windows install "Just Works".

However, when people purchase an OEM machine, they don't get just Windows and drivers. They also get a bunch of poorly written resource hogging bloat and trialware that make the system unstable and error prone. The drivers that come pre-installed are almost always out of date. An OEM Windows install does not "Just Work".

Naturally, when I purchase a new laptop, the first thing I do is wipe it and re-install Windows and the appropriate drivers. However, the majority of users out there aren't technically savvy enough to do this. I understand that OEM's make lots of extra cash on each computer sold but I would rather pay them that extra cash myself and not deal with the bloat.

I believe that this is a large contributing factor for why OSX and Linux are percieved as "better". Those operating systems are almost always experienced through vanilla installations where Windows is almost always experienced through OEM bloat installations.

I wish Microsoft could do something about this problem but I don't see what they could do about it.