ManipUni said:
LeoDavidson said:
*snip*

Which is why I am suggesting people use something other than the default which is harder to bypass. While logging into an administrator account via UAC is still somewhat flawed it is better than either UAC in Vista or whitelisted UAC in 7. Secure desktop helps mitigate some UI hijack issues.

But I do grant that you could entirely replace for example the Firewall Control Panel applet and people would just login to admin and escalate your new nasty applet. But I'm not sure how much can be done to mitigate that. I guess you could suggest people fast user switch but that is asking more than most normal people are willing to give.

ManipUni said:
Which is why I am suggesting people use something other than the default which is harder to bypass. While logging into an administrator account via UAC is still somewhat flawed it is better than either UAC in Vista or whitelisted UAC in 7. Secure desktop helps mitigate some UI hijack issues.

That is absolutely the best way to do things, but it can also be the most frustrating if you have a lot of applications that aren't Standard User friendly. One of the goals of UAC in Vista was to make more applications Standard User friendly, which would make taking this most secure route much more palatable. Sadly Windows 7 has jumped the shark in that regard, what we will now see is more apps that appear (and claim) to be Standard User friendly, but only do so by exploiting silent elevation. And fixing that in future versions of Windows could be the biggest nightmare the appcompat team will ever have.

ManipUni said:
But I do grant that you could entirely replace for example the Firewall Control Panel applet and people would just login to admin and escalate your new nasty applet. But I'm not sure how much can be done to mitigate that. I guess you could suggest people fast user switch but that is asking more than most normal people are willing to give.

Not really. How do you replace the Firewall control panel without having Administrator rights? And if you were able to obtain Administrator rights at some point, why would you bother messing around with the Firewall Control panel when you already own the machine at that point?