Ubuntu said:
matthews said:
*snip*

Dude, everything you wrote in your post is BS.

1. Could you be more specific and tell us which are the features that you miss in OpenOffice so much that you think it's 'horrible'?

2. If nvidia and Ati-AMD open-sourced their drivers there would be no reason to have an open-source 2D driver

3. If your kernel gets updated you may still choose in your boot menu to boot using the old one - didn't you notice that?

4. If you update to a newer kernel you should expect for the supported devices coverage to increase rather than decrease (the opposite to Windows)

I had sh*t to do, and after 3 years on that garbage, I gave up, installed Vista

You mean that WinXP prior to SP2 (at that point in time) was a better choice? It had poor stability and serious security issues.

I won't comment on the rest of your post because it's simply ridiculous - you have your agenda you want to put forward and there is no point in arguing.

1. Could you be more specific and tell us which are the features that you miss in OpenOffice so much that you think it's 'horrible'?

Ribbon? Lots of built in templates? Not being slow as all hell? Extensibility that doesn't suck? Spell checking that isn't broken? Grammar checking? Help files that don't suck? Howabout OneNote and Visio? Or true support for (like it or not) the most commonly used file formats (docx, xlsx, pptx, etc etc)?

2. If nvidia and Ati-AMD open-sourced their drivers there would be no reason to have an open-source 2D driver

Yes, and if Microsoft open sourced Office 2007 there would be no need to have garbage like OpenOffice. Hell, ATI even released the spec for their drivers and there's still a bunch of idiots reinventing the wheel and making new drivers from scratch that don't work.

3. If your kernel gets updated you may still choose in your boot menu to boot using the old one - didn't you notice that?

Yes, you can hack around the breaking changes that are thrown in for no good. That's exactly my point; you have to hack and fiddle way too god damn much.

4. If you update to a newer kernel you should expect for the supported devices coverage to increase rather than decrease (the opposite to Windows)

The only reason for this is because Linux relies on a mono-kernel design where every driver runs in kernel space. Device support in Vista had little to with kernel so much as the complete re-writing of the sound, wifi, and printing stacks, not to mention the new driver framework.

You mean that WinXP prior to SP2 (at that point in time) was a better choice? It had poor stability and serious security issues.

XP is terrible, and I still hate using it (thank god I use 7 RC at work), but I shouldn't have been so blind and should have used it instead of wasting my time dicking around with Linux. Once I realized how good Vista is, I gave up on Linux.