Dan said:Kryptos said:*snip*
On the content front, I'd love to hear more on what you'd want. I think we've really expanded the kinds of content that we built based on customer feedback and most of the feedback we here is pretty positive. Here are just some examples of the content we've added in no particular order:
- Erik Meijer's Functional Programming Lecture Series
- Scott Hanselman's Hanselminutes "walking" tours
- The Visual Studio Documentary series
- Weekly shows like This Week on Channel 9
- Training courses with screencasts and hands-on labs by-and-for developers
- Fun stuff like our Halloween and Life @ Microsoft videos
- Classic C9 videos on things like how the Windows 7 desktop background was created
- Channel 9 Live - Live and interactive video where you can ask questions to anyone/everyone
- Coding4Fun projects showing off cool hardware/software hacks
I know we can't please everyone, but if you have suggestions for improvements or other content you think we should cover, let us know.
IMHO dan the videos and stuff are fine.
the things to fix that bug me are (not in any given order)
1) posting that does not work very well - the ajax fade and wait stuff is just nasty / evil / spawn of vermin... get rid of it.
as a long time user here i can say 100% for sure i would rather have a plain old HTTP post page that just has my post data on a small simple form that just does a post and then sends me back to the topic when the post has been made. forget all the other stuff.
2) the farm: the farm seems to be as much a source of problems as a cure for anything. I do not know if you have to many servers or not enough servers or if they are just not done right but that farm needs some really hard core weeding / pruning and re-planting.
3) Page Load: this may be a side effect of the farm and or of the AJAX and or of the database and server re-boot but we get way to many times when the front page of the site just hangs ... the first layer of the html / css comes down so i can see the background paitned up and then ...... crickets chirping for ever...
this may also happen at times for the coffeehouse or other forum listing pages
4) SPAM!!! this might even be item 0 if we use option base zero!!!
MORE ON SPAM:
IDEA: if more than 10 users who have been registered regualr posters here all mark a post as spam then set a flag so that the post is hidden from view / search untill a moderator determines it's fate.
the mod still has to delete it or keep it but now if 10 or more different users all flgs it then it's off the map for us.
you can put a time value on that like in less than 1 hour or something and make it for posts that are less than 5 days old.
so that we have to be on new posts and no one user can hammer another user that way.
4 a) flag the post *NOT* the topic!!!! we need to be able to idenify that a given post is the bad one. esp. as many other folks give in to feeding the darn thread.
4 b) mod rights for some number of 9ers and not some super secret thing... add it to our post or to our badge on the site so we all know who can mod the spam and ban folks.....
4 c) you can track who flags a post and who uses mod-rights to edit / ban / kill-spam so that it's not abused.
fix the 4 things i am naming and i think that will stop at least 50 % of all the complaints about C9 - perhaps as much as 80% of them.