figuerres said:
Ian2 said:
*snip*

the magnifiing glass ... ok you are thying to use the idea of holding the handle it seems...

IMHO lose the handle, it does not really add any value and takes up more room.

while i like a good visual methaphore that relates to the real world in this case i do not think it really works.

why:

1) i can not "see" that i am holding the handle.

2) it blocks movement on part of the screen.

3) you have the cross hair in the center of the lens that says visually that it's my focal point.

so just make the focal point the cross hair and accept that not all real objects need to have identical models in virtual space.

also this will work better on a small screen where you would have issues with the lower right corner.

possibly the cross hair and or the rim can visually cue the user that they are active / clickable / selectable.

Hmmm, hearing quite a lot about the handle issue.  Considering that this is going to be a touch screen app I really dont want to be moving the magnifying glass around using the center of the glass (this is where I started and it is annoying not to be able to see what is under your finger).  I think I will opt for shrinking the image down (aligned to the top and left) and using the space on the bottom & right for something else?

Thanks for the great feedback.

PS Did you by any chance try this out on your TS2 using just fingers? -   I have a slight concern about the availability of more than 2 touch points  as my tablet only has 2 and my methodology for touch screen is probably suspect!