Bass said:
DevJunkie111 said:
*snip*

The difference is HTML5 is an open standard with wide industry adoption. Silverlight is a properitary Microsoft technology.

From Microsoft's perspective they would rather you use Silverlight. They have more control over that, and their whole business model basically revolves around platform control. HTML5 doesn't really fit into that well.

I suspect HTML5 support was not Microsoft's idea. "HTML5 support was my idea." Smiley

Many (most) web designers seem to be firmly supportive of an open web, and Microsoft is not able to ignore them anymore.

Bass that is a good point; i remember having this discussion about wether we needed to "invent" xaml and why we could not just evolve HTML instead. Looks like we are there now! Thanks to all the developers who pushed for it. What a waste of time and resources with all the investment in silverlight and xaml, if it is going to die eventually! At that time; there was all this emphasis on GPU support and rich graphics that was only available via WPF and eventually silverlight. Looks like that is not the case any more.

Funny I though that this Mix conf was about hightlighting silverlight4; now it looks like the silverlight funeral with all the announcements on HTML5 support; i see no sense in silverlight!! I was just getting ready to invest time in silverlight4 and maybe seems much more sensible to invest in HTML5 + Javascript. Can we get some more intelligent comments to help clarify? 

I will start a new thread to discuss Silverlight v.s. HTML/Javascript.