turrican said:

I have been pondering the same thing myself. I think Silverlight is great for most of the "regular" user apps, no more chasing users with updates etc so it's nice. But WPF still is needed, for example in business and enterprise where you need to have local access to the PC without the sandboxing of Silverlight.

I got a pretty huge app in winforms which I ponder to rewrite soon, I still haven't decided to go WPF or Silverlight but I'm very much leaning towards Silverlight since it now how rightclick contex menus for example.

Good thing about XAML is that if I go Silverlight and get stuck on something, I can pretty much convert that app to WPF without too much headache.

great comments turrican! I was in the same boat, with the winforms situation and large applications and client base. I was waiting for wpf to mature, get more performant and controls to become available from the vendors etc. But in the mean time FLEX and HTML5/javascript arrived and so did Silverlight. So we have to reevaluate. It is good that we are discussing this. WPF right now is presented as THE option for RICH windows only standalone applications. But if we could get RICH browser based apps would we take it? I think that the quality of the browser based app is not good enough, and the programming model is not great but that is changing as we speak? And looks like people would like to combine RICH and REACH apps if they can get it!

How much innovation is happening in WPF? how many talks at MIX on WPF? Where does that leave us?