First of all, let me say I love that users can now create pretty UI  using XAML. The design environment looks great, Microsoft.

Unfortunately, for some developers control of the device and local data storage are really important. People using hardened devices like those from Symbol, Psion, etc. are really using more of handheld computer functionality than the phone. It's being used as a real business tool all day long that may or may not have phone functionality.

It would be nice to create better UI for the enterprise too, but it looks like these users are not as big a priority for Microsoft as the average phone user. I understand, it's a much larger market. I wonder though, how long there will be people making enterprise equipment for WindowsMobile 6 since there is no access to XAML based development.

I thought the WIndowsPhones was going to be a mobile computer with a phone, but as it stands its a phone with web access, since Silverlight it really a web technology(a browser plug-in). Running out of browser makes it more  but unless there is local db storage and access to things like SD cards its too dependent on the server. Servers go down or slowdown, bandwidth is sometimes scarce/non-existent or too costly. Workers cannot stop working when the server is unavailable. There's still alot of lost productivity during peek times on wired desktop networks where the server might be in the building!

Personally, I think Silverlight on devices was not the correct choice if it precludes being able to store databases locally and even plugging in an SD card with huge amounts of database data and accessing it. It's a fatal flaw. I think there are many exciting and useful apps  for the device that will not be written if anything more than trivial amounts of data need to come from a server. and not just enterprise apps. It hamstrings the platform in the middle of a mobile revolution. This will force app writers who need this functionaliy to move to other platforms that provide local database access including the IPhone, IPod Touch and IPad. I hope Microsoft remedies this quickly. (Yes, I am the type of guy who will point out "I told you so" when it hits the fan.)

I originally looked at the WIndows Embedded Compact Framework (unsure of the exact title) when it was announced around last November that  it would support Silverlight. But, if I understand correctly, it is a C++ dev environment and may still suffer from a lack of local db access.

What's an Enterprise developer to do?