Please help me, I consider myself a rather 'advanced' Windows user but I'm having a simple problem...

Microsoft Security Essentials has this context-menu option, "Scan with Microsoft Security Essentials..." -- what I want is the ability to scan things on the fly, so google showed some discouraging entries, such as http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/msescan/thread/af9ea7da-2ea7-4455-95cd-875646bdde59...

But I'm so sure if there is a context menu and there is a way to make it scan files or directories... So I started in the registry. I found a MSSE shell extenstion reference to "{0365FE2C-F183-4091-AC82-BFC39FB75C49}", which points at c:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~3\shellext.dll; makes sense. But now what? When I look at the exported functions of the DLL all I see are the typical register/unregister type stuff

Then I thought I was digging too deep, so i tried scanning a file and just looking at the running command line, that just revealed /hide /runkey command line options.

So, in hopes of learning some fundamental Windows troubleshooting I've come to the experts to assist me in what seems to be a simple question which has already taken me too long to answer Wink

Thanks,
Dane