Charles said:
bureX said:
*snip*

Well, not really, His point with respect to open standards is that whereas the openess is realized in a closed system (like the iPhone, iPad and iPod), the freedom afforded by HTML5, CSS and JS empower developers to build experiences that are in and of themselves platform independent. So, a single HTML5 application would run conistently across all devices that support it and since it is an open standard, there is no notion of proprietary technology at the level that HTML5 operates (again, iPhone, iPad and iPod ARE closed systems that are proprietary down through the OS level).

The future will be heterogenous, with balanced forms of open and closed systems that empower both developers and users to get the best out of general purpose computing. I'm not in the HTML5 is everything camp, but I'm also not living in lead box... I think Silverlight, for example, has a very bright future and will do well in the closed-open world (it runs on all major operating systems and will soon show up in mobile devices like WP7...).

C

Do you think Flash and Silverlight are any different? I'm still yet to even see anyone deploy Silverlight in a meaningful way outside of Microsoft and a very niche Microsoft-loving sites.

I think Silverlight has as much of a right to exist as Flash but honestly we should expect better than to have browsers needing third party plugins in order to deliver animation, video, webcams, and sounds.