rhm said:
JoshRoss said:
*snip*

Yeh, as I've commented elsewhere, it's ironic that Jobs opens with a section on open standards when trying to defend a rule that forces native app developers to code to Apple's proprietary APIs.  It's a great example of doublethink.

Also, I'm amazed how many people are buying this crap about quality and consistent UI experience - not just Apple shills like John Gruber, but most of the media are taking it at face value also. And yet it doesn't stand up to scrutiny from any angle:-

• Qualtiy - example the app store and you can find lots of low-quality apps that would embarass any competent Flash developer.
  • Quality - if Apple decided to care about quality of native apps they already have the App Store approval process to deal with it.
  • Quality - the idea that making developers use worse tools will impove the quality of apps is laughable. Everyone has had approved apps crash on their iPhone and 99.9% of the time it was because of a memory leak or a memory access error. Forcing developers, usually ones with no experience in unmanaged languages,  to use C/C++/Objective-C is the cause of the problem, not a solution.
  • UI Consistency - has anyone ever played a game on the iPhone? Guess what - they're like games on every other platform, i.e. they don't use standard GUI look components. Never have and never will. If people were going to make non-game apps with Flash and use the Flex libraries to code the UI, that would be a problem, but again it could be dealt with in the App Store approval process easily enough.

+1

As soon as he started on about 'Flash not being open', I stopped reading.  He's the last man on earth who should preach about open standards.

Flash is cross-platform, that's why he doesn't want it.  The fact that Adobe has been lazy enough to give him an excuse is just good luck on his part.