Latest Achievement:

Loading Visual Studio Achievements

Something went wrong getting the Visual Studio Achievements

• Oops, something didn't work.

Getting "follow" information
    Start following this thread
    Removing your "follow"
    Setting up your "follow"
  • Looking back at the Courier videos, I can totally understand why it got cancelled.  It's not consistent with MS strategy at all, it's not broad enough.  All the concept videos show scenarios that are tightly scoped to people who do design work.  And not to mention the hardware and software are totally infeasible today.  You're all devs, how would you cost implementing Courier software?  5 years? 10? 50?  It effectively requires the creation of magic and software that somehow anticipates your intent.

That said, there are some cool, practical interface ideas shown that I hope we see in the near future.

• Ray7 said:

RLO said:
    *snip*

It's fascinating to watch isn't it? In a few years Apple will probably release an ARM-based laptop with a fifteen hour battery life and shell so thin it's almost impossible to use, but does double as a handy throwing weapon.

"At the end of the day, this is Microsoft we are talking about.  Honestly, what do you think their chances of success would be? Here's a prediction for the Kin. It will go on sale, pick up a small handful of users and then will be quietly dropped in about two years time."

Kin is not being promoted as a platform for third-party development, so I'm sure that's what's intended from the start.  It's an experiment and the features that are deemed successful will be folded into Windows Phone, just like Zune's were.  Courier would have been the same way.

• CreamFilling512 said:
    Looking back at the Courier videos, I can totally understand why it got cancelled.  It's not consistent with MS strategy at all, it's not broad enough.

If that were true, then Microsoft Surface would have never left the labs. If the market for the Courier is small, then I think you may find the market for a fifteen grand table is even smaller.

• contextfree said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

"At the end of the day, this is Microsoft we are talking about.  Honestly, what do you think their chances of success would be? Here's a prediction for the Kin. It will go on sale, pick up a small handful of users and then will be quietly dropped in about two years time."

Kin is not being promoted as a platform for third-party development, so I'm sure that's what's intended from the start.  It's an experiment and the features that are deemed successful will be folded into Windows Phone, just like Zune's were.  Courier would have been the same way.

Kin is not really being promoted for anything which is why it's pretty much still-born.

And your comment was pretty much the standard line MS has been using for all its failed projects. 

• Ray7 said:
    contextfree said:
    *snip*

Kin is not really being promoted for anything which is why it's pretty much still-born.

And your comment was pretty much the standard line MS has been using for all its failed projects. 

My point is that Kin has always been by design a narrowly focused product, so I don't see what the point you're making even is.  The question isn't whether Kin takes over the world, it's whether Windows Phone is ultimately successful.

• contextfree said:
    Ray7 said:
    *snip*

My point is that Kin has always been by design a narrowly focused product, so I don't see what the point you're making even is.  The question isn't whether Kin takes over the world, it's whether Windows Phone is ultimately successful.

The point is that rather than trying stuff that won't do very well, MS is better off sticking to what it knows (which is what it appears to be doing). 

Windows Phone? Not so sure it will make much impact in the face of so much focussed competition. 

• Ray7 said:

CreamFilling512 said:
    *snip*

If that were true, then Microsoft Surface would have never left the labs. If the market for the Courier is small, then I think you may find the market for a fifteen grand table is even smaller.

No, Surface makes more sense, it's a platform, customers build the apps for it.

• Thread Closed

This thread is kinda stale and has been closed but if you'd like to continue the conversation, please create a new thread in our Forums,
    or Contact Us and let us know.