Basically I'm a C# developer, but over the last couple of months I've been put on a website project. C# being the foundation of my knowledge, I naturally chose ASP.NET to design the website in.
I’ve learned a lot and I am quite proud of what I’ve accomplished so far. But I’ve noticed that my biggest mistake is standards compliance and using the right tools for what I want to achieve.
So, I’d like to hear your opinions on the matter and give advice, suggestions, or alternatives to some concepts I’ve come to use, but am not sure is the best choice:
- asp:menu – I’ve had a couple of problems, like the z-index bug in IE.
- scripts – when and how to use them?
- posting data between pages and to 3rd party sites? http post? sessions?
- sending emails – I’ve heard many different opinions on the best way to do that!
- datagrids vs asp:table?
- What’s the best way to keep a website dynamic? When should css sheets be used?
- Another thing is, I’ve noticed IE being way more lenient on code than open source browsers, why is this?
I’d love any further advice on standards compliance. Also, go check out the website and let me know what you think, I’d love some suggestions and advice! Learning is after all the base class for success!