W3bbo said:
Sven Groot said:
*snip*

"Because we can", the same reason people try to install Linux on toasters.

But to be fair, there are good practical reasons for Linuxing PS3s: it provides the cheapest way to access Cell processors providing certainly the best parallel bang-per-buck available (thanks to Sony selling them as a loss-leader).

There are advantages to be had to the console manufacturers in allowing "Other OS" installs: it allows them to import them into the EU as general purpose computers rather than dedicated gaming consoles which means they pay less import tax duty. I understand that Sony wasn't successful in getting a lower tax rating on the PS3 despite having the Other OS option and so decided it wasn't cost-effective to continue to develop the feature for the PS3Slim.

As for Blu-Ray playback: I imagine one reason for releasing a new Xbox SKU based on accessories rather than internal features is because the licensing costs for BR drives prohibits using them in Microsoft games consoles for the next couple of years. I imagine by 2012 or so the costs to make Blu-Ray drives will be low enough to use them in the 3rd Xbox.

As for Blu-Ray playback: I imagine one reason for releasing a new Xbox SKU based on accessories rather than internal features is because the licensing costs for BR drives prohibits using them in Microsoft games consoles for the next couple of years.

If only it was that simple.

Or for that matter... why do you think Microsoft hasn’t released a Blu-ray add-on for the 360 (similar to the HD-DVD add-on)?

The answer (as far as I can determine) lies in the Sun v Microsoft settlement.

I imagine by 2012 or so the costs to make Blu-Ray drives will be low enough to use them in the 3rd Xbox.

While the costs of building such a player will no doubt drop between now and then... given the current investments that Microsoft is making in the existing 360 platform & ecosystem... I’d be flabbergasted if they were to be any eighth generation console in 2012, let alone from Microsoft... doubly so if the economy is still struggling (which it will be).

2015 (*maybe* 2014) is the earliest I would expect to see Microsoft release something in the 8th generation.