Ray7 said:
Bass said:
*snip*

I think C# had the opportunity to correct many of the mistakes that Gosling made in Java, but along the way MS has made the language much more complicated. There are always trade-offs.

These days though, the focus is less on Java the language and more on the JVM. Lots of folk use Scala or Groovy (scripting) on the JVM which gives them a lot of the stuff Java is missing (closures for example, though they're apparently coming in the next release).

Worrying so much about backward compatibility and cross-platformness was a mistake. It prevented the language from moving forward.

Yes, companies are dropping the slow, bloated J2EE and using Spring instead.

Thank God.

Were are my multiplatform .NET install targets Microsoft?

Why would I dimish my Enterprise deployment base to use Microsoft's inferior product?

Why can't I just use all my libraries and leverage my existing code in Android applications for mobile phones with .NET?

With Java I just have to change the interface UI and that only takes me a few hours. With .NET I have to rewrite the entire application, and that costs tens of thousands of dollars.

Why would I dimish my Enterprise deployment base to use Microsoft's inferior product?

http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-20008661-251.html

June 24, 2010 12:20 PM PDT

Carriers activate 160,000 Android phones a day

With Java, all I have to do is extend my main class with JApplet to make it into a web application. No extra code is required. Only to sign the app with a CA cert that is in the Java root certificates, and users can just use the app in the browser. Why is it so much harder to port apps from the desktop to Silverlight?

I can simply run my existing Java code in Google App Engine for managed load balanced deployments with GWT, and the tools to write and run my code in Eclipse are completely free. The Tomcat stack is totally free to deploy on as many servers as I want with CentOS.

And Finally: