javaplayer said:
Ray7 said:
*snip*

Were are my multiplatform .NET install targets Microsoft?

Why would I dimish my Enterprise deployment base to use Microsoft's inferior product?

Why can't I just use all my libraries and leverage my existing code in Android applications for mobile phones with .NET?

With Java I just have to change the interface UI and that only takes me a few hours. With .NET I have to rewrite the entire application, and that costs tens of thousands of dollars.

Why would I dimish my Enterprise deployment base to use Microsoft's inferior product?

http://www.cnet.com/8301-19736_1-20008661-251.html

June 24, 2010 12:20 PM PDT

Carriers activate 160,000 Android phones a day

With Java, all I have to do is extend my main class with JApplet to make it into a web application. No extra code is required. Only to sign the app with a CA cert that is in the Java root certificates, and users can just use the app in the browser. Why is it so much harder to port apps from the desktop to Silverlight?

I can simply run my existing Java code in Google App Engine for managed load balanced deployments with GWT, and the tools to write and run my code in Eclipse are completely free. The Tomcat stack is totally free to deploy on as many servers as I want with CentOS.

And Finally:

Why can't I just use all my libraries and leverage my existing code in Android applications for mobile phones with .NET?

With Java I just have to change the interface UI and that only takes me a few hours. With .NET I have to rewrite the entire application, and that costs tens of thousands of dollars.

LOL, if you have a Java application you need to re-write your entire application for iPhone or Windows Phone too. For Andriod, you can use mono to reuse your .NET libraries in a mobile application. That sucks that you even have to change the interface UI for Android, so you have to rip & replace the whole UI?!

With Java, all I have to do is extend my main class with JApplet to make it into a web application. No extra code is required. Only to sign the app with a CA cert that is in the Java root certificates, and users can just use the app in the browser. Why is it so much harder to port apps from the desktop to Silverlight?

Show me a customer or top Web site that is using Java applets today. Applets are dead and are replaced by JavaFx. Let's ask the same question, why is it so hard to port an existing Struts application to JavaFx?

I can simply run my existing Java code in Google App Engine for managed load balanced deployments with GWT, and the tools to write and run my code in Eclipse are completely free. The Tomcat stack is totally free to deploy on as many servers as I want with CentOS.

I agree that Eclipse the best Java tool out there, and there are certainly several customers evaluating cloud deployments, which is why I love the fact that Windows Azure supports Java, including AppFabric support and we even have an Eclipse SDK! Because when you want the ability to infinitely scale, or if you want the option of using a real database in addition to Table Storage, Windows Azure is the best choice out there.