Bas said:
W3bbo said:
*snip*

To be fair, the SDK installer was only a few megs and once all the options except for 'tools' were disabled, the download itself was only 80 megs or so. But yeah, why they only come as part of the SDK is a mystery.

And Sven: you're right, that's even crazier than I realized.

Blowdart: thanks! I wonder what they'll say.

I found this article the other day whilst trying to do exactly what you wanted to do, download and install FXCop 10. I too was amazed at the hoops I had to jump through to do what should be a simple thing. A simple download and install! Brilliant write up by the way, made me laugh all the way through.  Big Smile

I tried an alternative approach at first after reading that you can download the ISO version of the SDK and extract the files needed without performing a full install. See http://blogx.co.uk/ViewItem.asp?Entry=812. I really did not want to install the Windows 7 SDK, I mean I am still using Windows XP so can't really see the reasoning behind this being in the Windows 7 SDK at all!!

This however fails for 2 reasons. The first is that .NET framework 4.0 is required. This I found really strange because the directory the cab files are in is called WinSDKNetFxTools however there is another directory called WinSDKNetFx40Tools. Is it silly to expect that tools requiring the .NET framework 4 might be in a directory called WinSDKNetFx40Tools and that the tools in the other directory should not need framework 4? It appears so because the installation of FXCop fails if you do not have framework 4 installed.

So, I installed framework 4 and then installed FXCop from the file extracted from the setup cab. The installation goes fine however each time the tool is run you get a runtime error stating the "Microsoft.VisualStudio.CodeAnalysis.Interop.dll" could not be found. After several fruitless searches, I reluctantly installed the tool using the SDK setup which it appears also installs the required assembly.

I found the entire process nothing short of a calamity. Honestly Microsoft have taken giant steps forward in the development arena, especially the work Scott Gutheries team have done, however things like this lead to an incredible amount of frustration and despair for developers. I do hope someone from Microsoft reads this page and considers how they might make our lives a little easier in the future!