I can remember stories of MS offering incentives to professors and student for adopting .Net.  There where some of MS pushing C# as the course of choice at colleges.  I thought that was also the reasoning behind the free Xbox with the MSDN subscription.

I too wanted to go down the same path and take C# courses and have the added bonus of having it count towards a degree while learning the lanuagues but I couldn't find anywhere that was a college or university that carried it.

The problem isn't with the college or university as an organization, its the professors.  When I was still in college learning C++, I had a professor who showed us a program he wrote that demonstrated various sorting methods and timed them, bubble for instance.  Problem was the program was written for DOS and ran so fast (this is 2000 mind you) that the timing feature was pointless.  The whole course was geared towards Unix development and they offered no other languages except Basic (not Visual) and Java, which was a 400 level course.

Also they gave us a free compiler for us to use at home.  I used VC++ but when I ran into problems, my professor told me that he couldn't help because he didn't use VC++, only the free compiler.  Frustrated, I dropped out and went to a technical school.

Those profs are still there today and thought the courses have adjusted a bit (HTML, VB, JavaScript and Perl), the main course is still geared towards Unix C++ coding.  Old programmers don't always want to learn new tricks and old programmers and the main ones running the IT, IS, CSC departments at universities.  Until that changes, the curriculum won't.  There may have been a chance of it happening sooner if the .com bubble didn't burst (I hate that analogy!!) But now that the job demand has leveled off, they can stick with the same old courses that they feel are easy for them to teach and let the students deal with the .Net learning curve on their own.

I would love to go back and finish but I don't want to sit through C++ classes again while everyone grasps the concept of a for loop and OOP in a language that I already know and don't plan to use (I'm a VB man by the way).