irascian wrote:

I feel caught between the hype and common sense where all this blogging and RSS feed hype is concerned.

Part of me is swallowed up by the enthusiasm of those involved with it all. But a large part of me thinks it's "Emporer's New Clothes" being pushed by a few people with a vested self-interest in promoting it, and that maybe the rest of us are being suckered in.

See here's the thing. A while back XML was hyped as the savior of us all. Finally an easy way to structure unstructured data (like the contents of web pages) in a way that could "easily" be read by either humans or machines. (more humans than machines IMO). But no one bothered to standardize the XML schema for web page content until Dave Winer did. So you had lots of XML floating around, but unless you looked at it and made sure you knew what to expect in it, it took some really convoluted (read: brittle) code to read it. Then a few large blog players started using the RSS "schema" (it's not really a schema IMO, it's a set of loose guidelines) and it took off.

So the biggest plus for RSS is the fact that lots of people know how to use it. There's  nothing inherently great about RSS and it has a few flaws. If Microsoft had been smarter about the Channel Definition Format back in the day, you'd be wondering about CDF instead of RSS today. Smiley

irascian wrote:

Is there a reason why most of the attendees at the Geek Dinner are marketing/PR folk and journalists? Shouldn't this instead be called a 'luvvie' dinner rather than a 'geek' dinner or have I got my terminology completely wrong?

I don't know what the geek dinners are like in other parts of the country, but at the geek dinners in Seattle, Scoble is usually the only marketing/press type there.  Sometimes a reporter /blogger from the local paper that covers all things Microsoft will show up. But not often. Mostly it's PM's, SDE's, and people like that from Microsoft. The rest of us are usually either tech enthusiats or active programmers.

If the UK one is turning into a press dog-and-pony show, you should kick their butts out by keeping the conversation EXTREMELY technical. They'll all be lost in the terms and won't be able to write anything about it the next day other than "I met Robert Scoble last night." Wink