>You can't, none of the computers today will be able to run longhorn.

http://radio.weblogs.com/0001011/2004/05/04.html#a7376
The specs quoted are not the minimum specs.

>Every day new advancements in hardware become available, more memory, 64-bits processors, bigger harddrives, faster networks... Maybe we also need a new operating system that can handle all this new stuff and take advantage of it.

I'm not discounting that. But why buy the hardware (aside from SQL/developers/artists/gamers who need the additional capabilities) when Windows XP fulfills these capabilities just fine? Yes, with Longhorn you get nicer drivers, a little more glitz, but where's the killer?

>Actually there are more than 3 pillars, but you obviously didn't do your homework.

Aright, three main pillars, though there are more. I've done my homework, and I have a copy of Longhorn sitting a few feet away from me.

>Computers without 3d-hardware will go to the 3th tier experience which means the classic (win 2k interface). You forgot that Longhorn is NOT targetted at servers.

Longhorn server is derived from the same codebase, and will be out a few months later. Try again?

>You don't know what WinFS really is, do you?
 WinFS is used to organise some sort of library about your documents and media like: pictures, songs, movies, word, excel, powerpoint documents, tasks, calendar, mailmessages and people. For example: you place 2 items in your calendar: 1-6 july vacation. After this vacation you connect your digital camera and download some pictures of that vacation. WinFS will automatically notice that those pictures were made during your vacation and give them a title like 'Holiday 2004".
Did I mention something about about the search-function? Not once.

To be honest, I've been trying to gain a real grasp around the technology. From what I've gathered, WinFS is a glorified metadata service, running on top of NTFS, with a few APIs that are supposed treat files as containers accessible to Outlook and a few other pograms. Search is part of that. But the question is, how many people are going to rush out and buy Longhorn with that in mind? So, in addition to a better Search, now I can have Calender download vacation photos, and put them somewhere. Time spent setting up Outlook for this: 30 secs. Time spent copying the files to your folder of choice? 30 secs. I suppose inline data added by Calender might work...

>You don't call those pillars of Longhorn innovation? What do you call inovation?
For (2), at the moment WE (the developers and IT enthousiasts) are telling on Channel 9 what WE want from MS.

They certainly are innovation, what I'm getting at is worthwhile innovation. To paraphrase HHGTTG, it's all fine and dandy if your customer's want a fly that can turn off light switches. 

>Avalon does more than just solving this problem. It innovates too. The desktop as you know it (since win95) will be replaced with something completely new.

Sidebar? A new color scheme?

>Here you have some concept videos about Manufacturing, healthcare, estate stuff and soon education too.

Custom apps, that could easily be written for Windows XP or 2003 (2000 fits the bill). I think WinFS comes off best in this.

>At the moment Microsoft isn't concentrating much on the consumers but more on developers because they are the ones that will have to use most of the new technology in lh.
It will take awhile before commercial apps become available that take advantage of all this new stuff.

True. But my point is that ->Longhorn comes out in 2006 (hopefully). It takes about 1-3 months for the big players to bring their products up to speed. But, with such an entrenched base, I do not see Longhorn as much of a success (keeping in mind its feature set).