Since Metro sucks for anything non-touchy anyway, at least until it hits version 3 or something, the only interesting tidbit about the appstore was the rumour that desktop apps would be listed too.

Taking 30% profits from devs is sucky of course, but as far as I know, freeware is hosted for free, and the appstore could FINALLY solve the age-old problem of maintaining gazillion of updaters for Flash, Adobe Reader and Java. You know, all the stuff that is installed on just about EVERY damn PC and is usually freeware.

I could totally see Oracle and Adobe listing their readers and runtimes in the appstore, so that at least Windows 8 users could finally use an integrated updater mechanism. Alas, as usual, Win 8 disappoints:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/b8/archive/2011/11/14/minimizing-restarts-after-automatic-updating-in-windows-update.aspx

Lastly but not the least, I want to address the feedback from users who would like WU to update their 3rd-party applications. People clearly find the experience with multiple updaters on the system less than optimal (and we agree!) ....  However, as we discussed at the //build/ conference, the new Windows Store will provide a one-stop shop for (free and paid-for) Metro style apps, with an integrated update service to help ensure apps are maintained in a consistent manner

Huh, what about desktop apps? Oh, right:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/239994/windows_8_app_store_what_we_know_so_far.html

The Windows Store is supposed to be an easy way for you to purchase touch-centric apps built with the new Windows 8 Metro-style interface in mind. But Microsoft said you will also see traditional desktop apps listed in the Windows Store.

During the demo, the company showed the Windows Store listing for popular finance program Quicken, including a link to the Quicken website to purchase the product. Microsoft said it doesn't want to require established programs to rewrite their licensing models and payment systems just to fit into Microsoft's new Windows store--a comment clearly aimed at Apple's Mac App Store. Instead, it will provide what is basically a free listings service for non-Metro apps.

"We love the ecosystem that's around Windows applications," said Steven Sinofsky, Microsoft's president of Windows and Windows Live. "And we want to make sure that it [the old Windows ecosystem] blossoms in this world as well."

Yeah, right! Seriously, fix your newspeak already, it just sucks.So basically the "appstore" for Windows 8 is just a glorified Windows Marketplace or download.com, yay, that's what the world is waiting for! Sheesh, allowing desktop apps into the appstore would fix an age old problem, but I guess that would make too much sense. And the excuse sucks - so what if some developers won't use AppX or whatever? Those who don't want to use it, just keep them as a mere links, and those who will write an installer that can be used with the appstore will get the full appstore treatment. Problem solved. The 30% tax for metros is bad enough, but this cripples it completely.

Verdict: Together with Metro, the Fartstore can be canned just as well.

And can the fanboys please tell me Metro how in its current form will be suitable for anything remotely business- and professional related? I just can't imagine something like Quicken or Cubase in Metro, unless either Quicken/Cubase or Metro get completely bastardized from what they are now. Given that people make money with those programs and Metro is a shiny, headache inducing toy (for now at least) I can already see who gets the shaft at the end. My guess: Metro in Windows 12 will be so bloated and extended that you won't notice the difference in looks to a classical Win32/Winforms/WPF app. Which kinda negates the whole point, doesn't it?

Given all this, Windows 8 is only interesting for tablets and/or if you just need to run your favourite farts on the desktop too. Everyone else should wait until Metro gets raped enough until apps written for it can look like Win32 and the porting of desktop apps to Metro will begin.

MS probably realizes it too and and just goes with it to capture as much tablet marketshare as possible with *shiny* in the meantime.

And now comes again the worst part of Windows 8 facing these circumstances: Metro is useless for productivity workers, the appstore is completely useless just as well for them, and despite this, the mutant OS forces Metro on everyone. Just separate these two worlds completely for now and everyone would be happy.

Looks like Windows 7 will have a looong shelf-life.