, blowdart wrote

*snip*

Even if the EU hadn't pushed austerity the riots would have happened, because it's more about no jobs and no income, the EU is just an excuse, in the same way the UK riots had their excuse in a shooting of a villain.

I have to disagree. They protest Austerity in Greece, with rocks, fire, tear gas, and bad language. Spain is also seeing protests today, though not as violent as Greece. Italy is actually ok today.

Protests are not irrelevant nor can all riots be assessed as the domain of a permanent underclass.

My research is showing the southern EU nations are more corrupt and (as a result) less productive than the northern EU nations. I read that these southern EU countries are rife with nepotism / cronyism so that they are effectively dysfunctional with unqualified workers. So their citizens are quite disgusted with their own government and are are primed for protests, I understand that and I agree with them. These protests include rejection of the EU member nations' forcing austerity measures against their EU membership. DE is telling them what conditions are attached to EU bailout money, and that is an international dispute by definition.

My original question is why the chronic nepotism / cronyism in southern EU nations? It's a class system that plagues all of EU and these southern EU nations don't ever try to correct it. UK goes for corrections, and DE is freer from the feudal-based class system than any other EU nation, and is glowing with productivity like the USA usually does. It may be only a single facet in a brilliant cut regarding the issue, but how is that understanding incorrect?