, Heywood_J wrote

*snip*Listen to music while running -- mp3 player

Listen to podcasts working around  the house or on the way to work.-- mp3 player

GPS to find places -- map

Reading news and other useless crap while eating lunch or waiting in line for stuff -- take medication for ADD

Texting/IM'ing a few friends -- take more medication for ADD

OK, I'm being facetious.  Maybe.

probably, but I can do all that with one device, not one device, a map, and a handful of stimulants.

I suffered a serious illness.  I was in the hospital for along time and then unable to work for several months.  One of the things I did to save money while I was unable to work was get rid of my cellphone.   During my recovery I rarely left the house, and when I did my wife was with me and she has a phone.

That was 4 years ago.  Today I'm fully recovered and back to normal.  And I still don't have a cellphone.  Not only am I saving hundreds of dollars a year, but even better is the freedom.  Want to get in touch with me?  Send me an email.  Or call my home and leave a message on my answering machine.  I'll get back to you when I feel like it.

Best thing I ever did.

I don't have a wife whose phone I can borrow.  On purpose.

I've also had numerous occasions where having the ability to text someone immediately has come in handy in my private life.

Just sayin.  And good to hear you aren't still ill.