, Craig_​Matthews wrote

When someone stops me in the hall and asks me to take care of something by a certain time, I press a button, say "Remind me in 45 minutes to do blah blah blah" or when I need to remember something, I go "Remind me when I'm at Lake Road and 5th to stop for milk".

Some of us aren't walking datebooks with an uncanny ability to remember every second of every day.

I understand that need, although I have to say that I found the simple to-do and calendar services on my 6310i adequate (if a bit cumbersome) for that type of requirement.

Still, I guess I should have been a bit more specific and said that I don't get the need for top-end smartphones (which my Lumia 920 definitely is) and that I think most people (particularly Apple users) are being hoodwinked into believing they need the latest and greatest to survive and/or fill in the 'empty' time.

I also don't get the need to be constantly attached to it, although it's probably a separate argument, but stepping outside at lunchtime today, and I found myself dodging every second person with their face glued to their smartphone, paying no attention to where they were going or who they were colliding with, and unable to hear the traffic as they stepped out in front of it... and it made me depressed to see that, almost Huxley-like, scene.

However, it's not that I'm anti-smartphone per-se, more that I think these things are now massive overkill for what people really need from a device, and yet everyone seems convinced they need the latest and most powerful one they really can't afford, and then burn more money on bandwidth and apps with totally unnecessary use of it.

My 6310i was as tough as nails (I swear it would survive a nuclear armageddon)  and I used to charge it once a week, although I could make it last twice that on a trip, by not using bluetooth.

There are things on my Lumia that are definitely an advance - multiple alarms is a big plus, having a camera is useful, and the syncing of contacts is a huge advance over what I had, but most of the rest of it I would happily live without, in return for longer battery life.

I believe that the company could have provided me with a Nokia 620 (or even lower spec if one existed) and it would have been perfectly adequate for what I really need to do, and I suspect it's perhaps true for the majority of smartphone users today, who just spend most of their time with twitter and angrybirds.